《96》

The moment he was pulled into the painting, Shao Ci felt on the verge of a breakdown, thinking he was about to meet his end. However, when he opened his eyes again, he found himself still in the same place. The surroundings had changed, with different decorations than before, and outside the window, it was a sunny day, unlike the previous stormy night.

"Is this the world inside the painting?" Shao Ci wondered, turning around to see the painting still hanging there vividly. However, the lifelike depiction made him feel a chill, as if those eyes were staring directly at him.

Soon, footsteps approached, and despite Shao Ci's attempt to hide, it was too late. Two maids walked by, seemingly unaware of his presence. Shao Ci extended his hand, but it passed through them like air.

Hesitating for a moment, Shao Ci decided to follow them and eavesdrop on their conversation. From what they discussed, he confirmed that the place he was in was the estate from several years ago when the Duke of Stuart was still alive. It seemed like the painting had transported him back in time.

Although he could see and hear everything, it felt like watching a movie, unable to interfere with their actions. "Phew," Shao Ci sighed in relief, realizing this might just be a trip down memory lane with no immediate danger.

Subsequently, Shao Ci entered the grand hall, which was vastly different from its dilapidated state earlier. It was now magnificent, bustling with servants. Despite the numerous people, an oppressive atmosphere filled the entire mansion. Everyone seemed tense and silent, engrossed in their respective tasks.

Following a servant carrying snacks, Shao Ci ascended the stairs, realizing that it was crucial to check on the Duke of Stuart. The servant's expression was grim, as if he was about to face his demise. When they reached the study door, the servant's hands trembled, almost causing the snacks to fall.

Upon opening the door, Shao Ci saw the grand study, filled with numerous bookshelves holding thick, incomprehensible volumes. Seated at the desk was a pale-faced youth, his delicate features reminiscent of a vampire. He focused on a book, and a row of servants behind him stood respectfully, avoiding any eye contact.

Beside the youth, a servant knelt with a shattered cup, and his face was covered in cold sweat. Shao Ci could easily guess the unfolding situation.

After a prolonged silence, the trembling servant outside finally presented the snacks. The youth, still engrossed in his reading, remained oblivious to the servant's actions. Relieved, the servant retreated respectfully.

Shao Ci observed the scene, uncertain about what might affect the main storyline. He stood by the door, trying to capture every detail.

The servant on the floor could no longer endure and began to plead, his voice trembling with fear. The youth, without lifting his gaze from the book, calmly stated, "I can spare your life, but these hands that made a mistake should stay... Oh and these eyes that can't see clearly,  we might as well remove them."

The servant's face turned even paler, and before he could continue pleading, the youth remarked casually, "Too many words are annoying." The servant was then promptly escorted out by others.

Shao Ci thought to himself, "Is this the true nature of the antagonist? Ruthless from a young age! Should I be grateful that this villain met an early demise? But even in death, he continues to haunt and deceive."

While lost in his contemplation, Shao Ci suddenly realized that the space around him was distorting. The memories within the painting were coming to an end. As the surroundings changed, he found himself still in the mansion but in a different era—a sunny day, with a bustling and eerie atmosphere.