Secret Admirer (1)

*This story takes place before Kokichi and Himiko became a couple*

      Himiko closed the door to her locker, hugging her books tightly to her chest. She stiffened with apprehension when she spied Kokichi a few lockers down from hers. She quickly turned the other way and headed off to her next class. She exhaled deeply and relaxed her muscles a little, feeling far and safe enough away from Kokichi. As much as she loved being around him, she hated it, as well, always feeling like she had to be careful of what to say or do. She hated herself for not being bold enough to tell him her true feelings. Well, she decided that that was going to change tomorrow. Tomorrow was Valentine's Day, and she was already devising a plan to confess her feelings for him. She thought that if she had a plan already set in mind, she'd feel a bit braver about telling him. The only problem was how she was going to tell him. Should she tell him when they're alone? Or in public, in case she needs some support? Should she sing a song for him, or write a poem? There were so many ways to confess one's feelings for another, but Himiko had to pick the right one that would steal Kokichi's heart. 

      Finally, Himiko arrived at her next class. She sat in her seat next to Kyoko. Throughout the entire lesson, Himiko's mind was on autopilot, thinking of ways to confess to Kokichi. She had tuned all noise around her out, so she jumped in surprise when she heard Kyoko saying her name. 

    "Himiko!" Kyoko repeated a little louder.

    "Nyeh?" Himiko mumbled. She turned to see Kyoko holding out a worksheet to her that their teacher had passed out. Himiko took it and stared blankly at it as her mind resumed to her plans to confess her feelings tomorrow. 

    "You seem a little preoccupied," Kyoko said to her. "Is everything okay?" Himiko turned back to her and nodded. 

   "Um...I'm just...having trouble with something," she replied. 

   "Would you like to talk about it?" Kyoko questioned. Himiko slightly felt as if she were being interrogated. Kyoko had a way of making her classmates feel like that sometimes. 

   "Nyeh...well, I have a crush on this boy," Himiko began. "And, since Valentine's Day is tomorrow, I wanna confess my feelings for him."

   "I see," Kyoko said, bringing her finger to her chin in thought as she listened intently to Himiko.

   "Kyoko? How would you confess your feelings to someone you liked?" Himiko asked shyly. 

    "I suppose the best thing to do would to just be honest and tell them how I'd really feel," Kyoko simply replied. "I don't see any reason to be so worried about it. And if the person doesn't like me back, I would appreciate their honesty, and then move on with my life."

   "But...what if you wanted the person to like you back?" Himiko pressed. 

   "As much as I'd want that, I'd have to accept the reality that they don't like me back, and respect their feelings," Kyoko answered. "If you really like someone, you need to respect their wishes, as well...so long as they're kindly letting you know that they don't share the same feelings." Himiko felt sick to her stomach. She knew Kyoko meant well, and that Kyoko was right, but it wasn't exactly what she wanted to hear. She honestly didn't know what she wanted to hear. All she wanted was for Kokichi to share the same feelings for her that she had for him. 

    "Did that help?" Kyoko asked. "I'm not really an expert on relationships, so, don't take my words to heart. I'm only telling you what I personally believe to be true."

   "Yeah," Himiko lied. "Thanks, Kyoko." 

   "No problem," Kyoko replied. It wasn't long before the bell rang, and class ended. Himiko trudged over to her locker, trying to fight back tears. She was afraid to face the reality that Kokichi might not like her back. What was even the point in confessing to him if that was a possibility? She was better off not saying anything to him at all. A tear rolled down her cheek as she reached for the dial for her locker combination. As she opened her locker, she felt a tap on her shoulder. She turned around. Her heart skipped a beat when she saw Kokichi with a cheeky grin. His smile faded a little when he saw Himiko's eyes.

   "Uh-oh! Looks like someone's been having a bad day!" he said. "Why are you crying?"

   "Nyeh...i-it's nothing," Himiko replied, quickly wiping her eyes. "What did you need me for?"

   "Hm? Oh, yeah! Angie told me to tell you that she won't be walking home with you and Tenko after school today," Kokichi replied. Himiko frowned in confusion. 

   "Why didn't she tell me that herself?" she asked. "I have Angie next period." Kokichi shrugged. 

   "I dunno. Who knows what goes on in her brain?" he replied. Himiko nodded.

   "Yeah, I guess," she mumbled quietly, grabbing her books and shutting her locker door. 

   "Soooo...tomorrow's Valentine's Day!" Kokichi said. Himiko groaned to herself. She didn't want to be reminded of it. Her mood had been dampened so much that she couldn't even enjoy the moment she was having with Kokichi right now.

   "I know," she mumbled quietly, trying to hold in her tears. 

   "Are you planning on confessing your love for that special someone?" Kokichi asked with a cheeky grin. Himiko looked at him in alarm.

   "W-What special someone?!" she exclaimed. "There is no special someone!"

   "Oh? Then, why are you freaking out so much?" Kokichi teased mischievously. Himiko's cheeks began to turn red.

   "Nyeeeh...I'm not freaking out!" Himiko growled. "Why? Do you have any plans for tomorrow?"

   "Nope! I don't really like anyone in this school," Kokichi answered. That did it. Himiko felt her heart shatter. She felt like crying. 

   "Um...I have to go now," she said. Before Kokichi could say anything, she dashed away, hiding her face behind the books she kept clutched to her chest. When she arrived at the girls bathroom, she sank to the floor as tears streamed down her eyes.