Fast and Feisty: Drifting In Tokyo (2)

All the houses were abuzz with excited chatter about Kokichi and Kaito's race down Passion Point. Surprisingly, the Ultimate Racer allowed Kokichi to race his car down the mountain, most likely out of excitement to see it win. The word spread across the city, and every teenager fled over to Passion Point to see the action. 

   "Nyeh...there's a bunch of people here," Himiko said in a small, nervous voice as she looked out of the window of the car Kokichi was driving. Angie, Kiki, and Tenko sat in the back seats. They had reached the base of the mountain.

   "They must have heard about the race!" Kokichi said, parking the car next to Kaito's. "O-kay, you guys, this is where you get out!" Tenko and Angie exited the car. 

   "Bye, Kokichi!" Kiki said before leaving. "Good luck!"

   "Thanks, Chibi-Kichi!" Kokichi said, waving to his cousin. Himiko, however, remained in the car, staring at Kokichi in horror.

    "Kokichi...are you really gonna do this?" she asked fearfully. 

   "Of course!" Kokichi said. Himiko gulped, her eyes wide with dismay. "Don't worry, Himiko, I'll be fine," Kokichi promised, stroking her cheek. "You weren't scared when I was driving after that girl who had Sayaka's friend."

   "That was on a regular road!" Himiko cried. "This is on a mountain!"

   "It was dangerous then, just as it is now, but I still managed," Kokichi said with a shrug. "I got this, alright? Besides, there's no way I can pass up an opportunity like this! I'm already here, I got this car, so I might as well go through with it, y'know!" He pressed down on the gas, and the engine roared to life. "Mwa-hahahahaha!! Listen to that engine! This baby's got a lot of power!"

   "Just be careful, Kokichi...please?" Himiko asked worriedly. Kokichi wrapped his arm around her shoulders and leaned in to kiss her. 

    "I will, Monkey Buns!" he said with a confident grin. Then, he sighed. "Besides, if I wreck this car, I gotta pay for it, so..." Himiko giggled. It made her feel a little better knowing that Kokichi was so full of confidence, but she was still scared for him. 

   "Okay..." she said quietly. "I'll be waiting for you down here." 

   "And I'll meet you back down here," Kokichi replied confidently. Himiko gave him a small smile. After one last kiss, she left the car and joined the other onlookers on the side of the road. 

    "Kaito, this is stupid," Maki was saying to Kaito in the meantime. 

    "Don't worry, Maki Roll! Kokichi's not gonna beat me at this race," Kaito assured. "Besides, I believe in myself! Don't you believe in me?"

    "I believe that you're making a stupid mistake," Maki said. "It's one thing to beat Kokichi in a video game, but this is real life, and you're racing down a mountain. Don't you care about your own safety?"

    "Well, of course! But I'm not scared," Kaito said. "Besides, I'm already here. A man goes through with his promise!"

    "No matter how dangerous and stupid it is," Maki muttered under her breath as she rolled her eyes.

   "Huh? What did you say?"

   "Nothing," Maki sighed. "Just don't die, okay?"

   "You got it, Maki!" Kaito said, giving Maki a wink and a thumbs-up. "I didn't have that on my to-do list for today anyway, so it's not gonna happen!"

    "Whatever you say," Maki said, then gave Kaito a small smile. "But if you do end up dying, I'll kill you."

   "Haha! I believe it!" Kaito said. He leaned forward and gave her a quick kiss. Maki exited the car and stood next to Himiko. They both looked at each other and sighed worriedly.

   "Boys," they muttered. 

   "Hey, Kokichi!" Kaito called out from his car. "Don't think that just cuz you got a sports car that you're gonna beat me!"

    "Whaaaat? I don't think that at all, Kaito!" Kokichi called back.

    "Huh? You don't?!" Kaito asked, raising his eyebrows in surprise.

   "Nope! I'm gonna annihilate you! Mwa-hahahahahahaaaa!!!" Kokichi replied, cackling wildly. 

   "Ha! We'll see about that!" Kaito said.

   "Don't be too sure you'll win," Kokichi said. "I'm known around here as D.K.!"

   "Uhhh...'Drift King?'" Kaito asked.

   "Nope! Donut King!" Kokichi said with a cheeky grin. "You'll see why after I annihilate your ass!" 

   "Gggrrrrr...that ain't happening!" Kaito roared. 

   "Okay, okay, you two, stop all that damn flirtin!'" Miu said. In her hand was a remote control. "Everybody, shut the hell up and listen to me!" The crowd of teenagers quieted down and turned their attention to Miu. She pointed up to the sky at a drone. "This is how things are gonna work: I'll record the race using this drone, and you'll be able to see it live on your phones!" She then pointed to a tall tree stump. "Kokichi, Kaito, that tree stump will count as the finish mark. Whoever passes that first is the winner!"

    "Got it!" Kokichi and Kaito replied simultaneously. Miu went over to the passenger side of Kokichi's car and stepped inside.

   "Hey! What are you doing in here, bitchlet?!" Kokichi demanded.

   "I'm gonna go up with you guys so I can start the race," Miu answered. "Plus, I wanna see how this thing rides!"

   "Ew, fine!" Kokichi huffed. "Just don't breathe everywhere! You're gonna melt this car and me with your hot shit breath before we even get to the top."

   "Sh-Shut up!" Miu stammered, hovering her hand over her mouth. "I brushed this morning!"

   "Doesn't smell like it," Kokichi muttered testily. He and Kaito began their drive up the mountain. The onlookers cheered as they watched them drive off. Himiko and Maki looked after them with worried faces. Kiki, however, watched with fascination and excitement, ready for the race to start.