Under Pressure (5)

"Something's definitely going on with my Aunt Akiko, I just don't know what," Kokichi said thoughtfully. It was later that evening after dinner. He and Himiko were sitting on his bed, discussing what could possibly be going on with Kiki and why her mom was so adamant about her being a "proper lady," and what that had to do with Kiki being better than her classmate.

   "Mm-hm!" Himiko said through a mouthful of the brownies Kokichi brought to Kiki and her parents as she scarfed them down.

   "I keep thinking there's something deeper than just Aunt Akiko wanting Chibi-Kichi to be a 'proper lady,'" Kokichi continued. "I don't even think it has anything to do with that at all."

   "Mm-hm!" Himiko said again as she chomped on the brownies. 

   "But, then again, maybe Aunt Akiko is feuding with Chibi-Kichi's classmate's parents, or something, and has turned this whole thing into a competition," Kokichi said. "And maybe they're competing to see which of their daughters is the better one. Maybe the whole 'proper lady' thing is just a ruse."

   "Mm-hm!" Himiko said, yet again.

   "Himiko! Are you even listening to me?!" Kokichi snapped. Himiko looked up at him in surprise right as she was about to stick another brownie in her mouth.

   "Nyeh...I'm sorry. Did you say something?" she asked in a small voice. Kokichi stared at her in disbelief. 

   "Seriously, Himiko?!" he said. Then, he snatched the box of brownies away from Himiko. 

   "Nooooo!! Kokichiiiiiiiii!!!" Himiko whined, reaching out for the box. Kokichi held it high over his head so Himiko couldn't reach it.

   "Uh-uh! Bad girl!" he said. "You weren't even listening to me."

   "Yes, I waaaas!" Himiko continued to whine.

   "What did I say, then?" Kokichi asked, crossing his arms expectantly. Himiko abashedly tapped her index fingertips together.

   "Nyeh...I dunno...something about...somebody's...mom?" she replied quietly. 

   "A-ha! I knew it! You weren't listening!" Kokichi said.

   "I'm sorry, Kokichi, okay?!" Himiko said. "Those brownies are sooo good!"

    "Well, if they're that much of a distraction, they're gonna hafta wait," Kokichi said. He hid the brownie box underneath his pillow.

   "Heeeey! I was eating thooose!" Himiko cried. 

   "No more brownies until you listen to what I have to say," Kokichi said. 

   "But I can't listen unless I have browniiieees!" Himiko exclaimed.