Fast and Feisty: Drifting In Tokyo (14)

"Is it all set to go, Kazuichi?" Kaito asked. The day of the Junior Championship Race had finally arrived. Everyone in Casa V3 woke up early for the trip to Tokyo's Reisuka Stadium to cheer Kiki on. Kiki, Himiko, and the boys waited in one of the stadium's pit areas, where Kazuichi was checking to see if the Celestial Eris of Chaos needed any repairs or maintenance done.

   "She's all set!" Kazuichi confirmed. 

   "Sweet!" Fuyuhiko said, and smiled at Kiki. Kiki didn't smile back. Her eyebrows were furrowed with worry and she clutched tightly to her skirt.

   "Nyeh? What's the matter, Chibi-Kichi?" Himiko asked.

   "Are you nervous?" Gundham asked. "Weeks ago, you were enthralled by the idea of racing, were you not?"

   "I...I..." Kiki stammered, wringing her skirt. Kokichi knelt down to her level and placed a comforting hand on her shoulder.

   "What's going on, Chibi-Kichi?" he asked. Kiki looked at him.

   "I still haven't perfected drifting in a kart," she said. 

   "That's what's been botherin' ya?" Mondo asked. "Don't worry about that, kid! You're a pretty good racer enough as it is! Shit, you could even give some of the guys in my gang a run for their money!"

   "Yeah, Chibi-Kichi!" Kaito agreed. "Just go out there and race until you're the first one to cross that finish line!"

   "And even if you don't win, we'll still be proud of you," Kokichi assured, ruffling Kiki's hair. Kiki smiled hopefully in response.

   "Really?" she asked.

   "Of course!" Fuyuhiko answered. "It's cool that you're able to do what you want at all. If it were up to me, I would have left the yakuza a long time ago. My point is, whether you win or lose, you're still a winner." The other boys murmured in agreement. 

   "Thanks, guys," Kiki said. "I just wish I was able to drift like you, Kokichi."

   "We can practice more after the race," Kokichi replied, waving his hand dismissively. "You'll get it down eventually, I'm sure!"

   "Besides, it's better to be safe than sorry," Himiko added. "What Kokichi did on the mountain a few weeks ago is really dangerous!"

   "So true, Monkey Buns!" Kokichi said, giving Himiko a kiss on the cheek.

   "Hey! I was also there!" Kaito said, throwing his arms into the air. "What I did was dangerous, too, y'know!"

    "Yeah, but it wasn't nearly as cool as what I did!" Kokichi said with a cheeky grin. 

   "I would have done cool things, too, but you just got in my way!" Kaito yelled. Kokichi pretended to yawn.