Under Pressure (7)

"Alright, Aki, dear, go ahead and change into your ballet attire, darling," Aunt Akiko said once they arrived at the community center, where Kiki's ballet class was held. 

   "Yes, mother," Kiki mumbled, and trudged towards the girls bathroom to change. Aunt Akiko turned to Kokichi with excitement. 

   "You should see her, Kokichi, darling! She is the best dancer in her class!" she exclaimed.  Kokichi pressed his lips together skeptically.

   "I'm pretty sure she's good, Aunt Akiko, but...she doesn't seem too excited about it," he said. 

   "Oh, nonsense! Of course she is!" Aunt Akiko said with a lighthearted laugh. "It's her dream to become a ballerina! And, it's the best way to become a proper lady! As a little girl, I never had the opportunity myself to be a ballerina, so I'm not going to let my own daughter miss out on a dream that I missed!"

   Her dream, or *yours?* Kokichi thought to himself, his suspicions confirmed. Aunt Akiko was living vicariously through her daughter, forcing her own dreams on Kiki! Kiki soon came back in a light purple leotard, tights, a tutu, and a pair of leg warmers that Kiki recently added to her outfit to add some light to her miserable situation, despite her mother's reluctance.

   "Oh, my darling, you look absolutely fabulous!" Aunt Akiko cried. "Except for those silly leg warmers, of course. You cannot become a proper lady wearing those! But when everyone sees you, they're going to lose their minds over how beautiful you look!"

   "Mother...I wear this every time I come here," Kiki muttered in a pained voice. 

   "And you look more and more fabulous each time!" Aunt Akiko said, pinching Kiki's cheeks. "Now, remember to smile, because..."

   "...If I look bad, you look bad," Kiki finished reluctantly. Kokichi blinked in shock. He couldn't believe what he was hearing.

   "Exactly!" Aunt Akiko beamed. "Now, show me your award-winning smile!" Kiki took a deep breath and forced a wide smile onto her face. "Wonderful! Now, come, come! To the dance studio!" Kiki sighed heavily as she followed her mom down the corridor. Kokichi gazed at her with sympathy. They entered the studio to see the other girls doing warm-ups and stretches. The only other adult in the room was the ballet teacher, Madam Swan, a tall, elegant-looking woman with her raven hair pulled into a tight bun, and piercing, icy-blue eyes. Aunt Akiko turned to Kiki, nodding to her to smile again. Kiki reluctantly flashed Madam Swan a smile.

   "Ah, Aki! I am so happy to see your wonderful smile again!" Madam Swan exclaimed. Kiki curtsied in response.

   "Why, thank you, Madam Swan," she replied automatically with a slight grimace. "It is so lovely to see you, as well!" Kokichi wondered if Kiki had also been forced by her mother to rehearse the same old tiring line every time she was greeted by her ballet instructor. 

   "So precious!" Madam Swan cooed. "Madame Ouma, you have a wonderful, gifted daughter!"