Under Pressure (End)

"Why, Kokichi! Akio is nowhere to be found! What is the meaning of this?" Aunt Akiko demanded. As soon as as they'd arrived home, she had been looking everywhere for her husband, but he wasn't even home.

   "Aunt Akiko, I was wondering if I could talk to you about something important," Kokichi said.

   "Well, is it so serious that you had to lie to me?!" Aunt Akiko exclaimed incredulously.

   "Yes," Kokichi answered with a serious expression. "Can we talk somewhere in private?"

   "Ohhh...I suppose so," Aunt Akiko replied quietly. "Come. Let us go to my room." She turned and headed upstairs. Kokichi gave Kiki a thumbs-up before following his aunt up to her room. Aunt Akiko plopped herself in front of her vanity and began fixing her makeup.

   "I can't believe I left the house with uneven mascara!" she scoffed. "I look like a total mess!"

   "Aunt Akiko," Kokichi said, standing behind her. "The talk?"

  "Oh, yes, yes, darling, go ahead, I'm listening," Aunt Akiko said. It was clear that she was too preoccupied with herself rather than showing interest in what Kokichi had to say. 

   "Aunt Akiko, put down the makeup and listen to me!" Kokichi demanded. Aunt Akiko turned to him, her eyes and mouth wide with shock.

  "Kokichi!!" she breathed. "Why...do you know who you are talking to?! You should respect your elders, young man!" Kokichi crossed his arms at her.

  "You're one to talk about respect," he said.

   "Whatever are you talking about?!"

   "Aunt Akiko, don't you realize how horrible you treat Kiki?" Kokichi said. Aunt Akiko blinked in confusion at him.

   "I do not know what you are getting at, sweetheart," she said, turning back to the mirror. It was as if she were trying to avoid the subject.

   "Aunt Akiko, Kiki doesn't wanna be a violinist," Kokichi continued. "She doesn't wanna be a ballerina, either."

   "Of course she does, dear boy," Aunt Akiko said, applying more makeup on her face. "Don't talk nonsense." Kokichi narrowed his eyes at her.

   "You do know, don't you?" he prodded. "You do know that she doesn't wanna be what you want her to be, but you force her anyways."

   "It is very rude of you to assume things," Aunt Akiko said, growing upset. "If you do not stop accusing me of such things, I will have to ask you to leave."

   "It's because you never got to be what you wanted to be when you were a kid," Kokichi continued.

   "Kokichi..." Aunt Akiko began.

   "And so you thought you could live out your perfect life through Kiki," Kokichi added.