Fast and Feisty: Drifting In Tokyo (8)

"I think before we start building this thing, we should probably get a professional," Kokichi suggested. He, Kaito, and Kiki were in the driveway, staring at the parts and pieces of what they were hoping would eventually become Kiki's kart. 

    "We don't need a professional!" Kaito said. "Building a kart sounds pretty easy!"

    "Okay, so...show us where to start, Mr. Know-It-All," Kokichi asked with a smirk. Kaito scratched his head in confusion.

    "Well...that's easy," he picked up a welding torch and examined it. "You use this thingy to, um...melt the metal, and uh..."

   "Like Kokichi said, we should probably find a professional," Kiki interrupted. Kaito sighed.

   "Okay, fine, then," he muttered, setting the welding torch down before turning to Kokichi. "Tuh...who do you think we should ask, then?"

     "Whoa-ho! Are you guys gonna build something?" Kaito, Kokichi, and Kiki turned to see Kazuichi with Fuyuhiko and Gundham walking over to them. Kazuichi's eyes sparkled with interest. 

   "Yeah!" Kaito replied. "We're putting together a go-kart for Kiki." 

   "You want a go-kart?" Fuyuhiko asked Kiki. 

   "Tee-heehee...thaaat's right, Paul!" Kiki replied with a cheeky grin, using Kimiko's nickname for him. 

   "What for?" asked Fuyuhiko, raising his eyebrows in surprise.

   "I signed up for the Junior Racing Championship in Tokyo!" Kiki replied. Kazuichi, Fuyuhiko, and Gundham raised their eyebrows.

   "You have courage coursing through your veins, I will give you that," Gundham admitted. "Never have I seen a little girl take an interest in such matters as racing." His Four Dark Devas squeaked in agreement. 

   "Seriously!" Kazuichi said. "Wouldn't you rather be doing something, like...like..."

   "Like what, pLaYiNg wItH mY dOlLiEs?" Kiki interrupted, rolling her eyes. "Look, you guys, I like dolls as much as the next girl, but I also wanna race! I mean, I don't ask you why you have pink hair, even though you're a boy, or why you have cute, fluffy hamsters, even though you're supposed to be some 'dark, powerful overlord,' or whatever!" Kazuichi and Gundham nodded sheepishly.

   "Perhaps this little wench of whimsy is right," Gundham said. "Still, I stand by what I said earlier: your courage to race, as well as to speak up when you feel you have been wronged, is admirable. It reminds me of a quote from one of Shakespeare's plays: 'And though she be but little, she is fierce.' I must admit, I am curious to see how you perform on the battlefield of the racing world known as 'the track.'"

   "You know what? Me, too!" Kazuichi agreed. "Hey, I'll help you guys build this thing, if you want!"