Chapter Two

Margot Mitchell
September

    The morning after, Margot made her way to base with Isla. She was her closest friend from the academy. They had met there and miraculously ended up at Top Gun together. She felt like a sister to her and had been there through all the bullshit in the last few years. Margot wasn't sure what she'd have done without her. They walked together into base, both dressed in uniform, hair tied tightly into a low bun. She had told Isla on the way to the base about her night with Jake, leaving out the lingering feelings portion. She still was trying to make sense of that. She guessed she had thought he looked like dumb, hot idiot. Not someone you could actually hold a conversation with.

    "Glad you weren't murdered by a psycho killer from your online date." Ryder told her as he appeared. He was around six feet, blue eyes, blonde hair. He looked so much like his father, who was the current Commander of the Pacific Fleet, Admiral Tom 'Iceman' Kazansky.

    "I told Isla where I was at all times." Margot replied, shrugging. "I had fun, and survived. No harm done." She winked. "Were you worried about me? That's precious."

    "He was blowing up my phone all night, so I'd say yes." Isla commented, glancing sideways at Ryder. "Remind me why you two didn't work out?"

    "We're better as friends. Didn't feel the spark." Margot answered. "But we have a deal. If we're still single by thirty, we're going to marry each other." She nudged Ryder with her hip. "I think I'll make a stunning Mrs. Kazansky."

    Ryder snorted. "You just want to have my adorable babies." He replied, causing her to laugh.

    "See. Chemistry." Isla said, waving her hands between them. "I don't get it. You're both hot, finish each others sentences, get each other. Worry when Margot has a date."

    "And that chemistry will be great if we ever have to get married due to terminal single-ness." Margot told Isla. She stopped walking when she heard someone say her name. She turned around, coming face to face with her father.

    Captain Pete 'Maverick' Mitchell was well known around North Island. What wasn't well known was that he had a daughter, and that was due to the fact he hadn't raised her. Even when he had custody after her mom died, she pretty much lived with the Kazansky's. He still looked good in his fifties, and people were drawn to him. He was easy going, a damn good pilot, and a good person. Those things just didn't carry over into fatherhood entirely.

    To clarify, he wasn't a shitty dad. Just a somewhat absent one. He'd been young when she was born. Margot loved him, but she didn't have the relationship she'd always hoped for. He hadn't been thrilled when he found out she got into the Naval Academy, but it had been too late to try to stop her. She knew why he hadn't wanted her in, and it had nothing to do with his wants or wishes, but her mother's. She had been gone four years by the time Margot began her journey.

    Margot nodded for Isla and Ryder to go on as she turned toward her dad. "Hi," She told him. She wanted to try to make things better between them, and she knew he wanted that too. Especially since there was one person in her life she wasn't ready to forgive, and she expected that ghost to surface any day now. She and her dad had been working to better their relationship for a little while now, and it was nice to be closer to him again in location.

    "I wanted to wish you luck, but I don't think you need it." Maverick told her. "Remember this is a learning experience. Winning is great but ultimately you're here to learn. And figured out teamwork."