Chapter Thirty-Four

Margot Seresin
December
**Double Update Today**

    It was hard to believe another year had come and almost gone. New Year's Eve had always been an odd holiday for Margot. It had such high expectations and people set themselves up for failure. At least, it felt that way sometimes. She still enjoyed the parties, but she never made any kind of resolution. This had been a good year, though. Her first eight months of marriage had gone fantastic, her and her dad were in a much better place than two years ago. After the run in with Carlisle, there had been no further issues or encounters. Jake hadn't reached out to him, he told Margot he didn't want to open that door. And his mom hadn't come poking around. It had been radio silence since July, which was good. Jake didn't want to tempt anything.

    Margot was dressed in a silver sequin bodycon dress. It hit the top of her thighs and had a halter top with a v-neck and was backless. She had an NYE headband on that was sparkly, it matched her dress. Jake had barely kept his hands off her all night. They were at a party at The Hard Deck. It was primarily Navy attendees, but was technically open to the public. Though Margot recognized just about everyone there.

    "My resolution for next year is to stop taking shit at work." Isla announced. She raised her champagne glass for effect, and Margot noticed her engagement ring glistening. She had accepted Rooster's proposal back in October. He had proposed at the Observation Deck at Willis Tower, in the glass box over the city. The pictures had been bad ass. Margot was stoked for the two of them. They had set their wedding date for August next year.

    Isla was wearing a cami bodycon dress with iridescent sequins. She had a matching headband too, she had orchestrated the head wear for the girls. Rooster was standing beside her with his arm hooked around her waist. Leave it to Rooster to find a Hawaiian shirt for the holiday. It had fireworks and champagne glasses all over it. Margot thought the print was ugly but worked for him. He had it open though with a white shirt underneath. Despite the hideous print, he still had women all over the bar looking at him, and glaring at his fiancée.

    "Shit? Is that what we're calling it?" Margot asked, rolling her eyes. "I'd call it misogyny."

    "You're still newer instructors." Jake commented. "It takes time to do some of the bigger jobs. And there's forty instructors on staff. You'll get bigger opportunities. They'd be idiots not to utilize that."

    "That's easy for you to say. You've gotten to do plenty. We just teach our usual class and that's it." Margot told him. "I swear I'm being punished for being Pete Mitchell's daughter."

    Jake kissed the top of her head. "Enough work talk. That's a problem for next year. You look too good in that dress to spend the night moping." He said, gliding his hand down her lower back to cup her ass.

    "Fine. Next year." Margot agreed. It was bumming her out anyway. She glanced up as Ryder walked over, looking like someone stole his puppy. "Hey Ry, why the long face?" She asked him.

    "Phoenix was officially relocated to Lemoore yesterday as you know," Ryder answered. "And she dumped me today."

    "I'm sorry, sweetie. Why, the long distance?" Isla questioned.

    "Yeah." Ryder answered, sighing as he sat down on a stool near the pool table. He ran a hand through his hair, fluffing the blonde strands up. "I get it, but it's not that far."