Chapter Forty-One

Margot Seresin
October

"Jake!" Margot called from the inside closet. "Jake!" She sighed. "Jake! JAKE ALEXANDER-"

Jake suddenly appeared and had clearly ran to the closet. "Are you okay? What happened?" He asked, looking her over. "What's wrong?"

Margot stood in front of him with a frown. "I can't wear this. Look." She turned to the side in the dress she had on. She wasn't quite sure when it happened, but her bump finally popped. It wasn't very big, but definitely noticeable. She was almost at sixteen weeks now. "Jake," She felt tears brimming. She was so tired of feeling like she was going to cry all the time. It felt like it didn't take much.

Jake looked relieved that nothing was physically wrong. "Hey, this is a good thing. You were worried a week ago because you weren't showing-" He began, but she narrowed her eyes. He looked like he was confused on what he had said wrong once she was glaring at him.

"But now I am!" Margot cried. To Jake's credit, he didn't laugh at how ridiculous she was being. And she knew she was, but it just kept happening. Waves of being stupidly emotional, which was a new thing for her. "I can't wear this to the birthday."

They were leaving for her dad's birthday party. They were going early to tell him and Penny about the baby. She had put together her baby surprise box for them. She had been excited about it up until now when she pulled on her dress she was wearing. It was only a slight curve in her abdomen, but it was pretty clear what it was. Margot had a slender frame and the small baby bump stood out, especially in her dress.

"You look gorgeous." Jake told her. "And we're telling them anyway today. Maybe wear a jacket until we talk to them. The dress fits, it just hugs the bump. Honestly? It's kind of hot."

"Are you just saying that because I'm a blubbering mess?" Margot questioned.

Jake shook his head. "No. It's surreal to see," He told her. "And honestly never thought this would be a thought that crossed my mind, but seeing you carrying my child is a major turn on." He put his hand over her abdomen. "And women are totally the superior species. Men could never and I fully own that."

Margot smiled a little. She knew Jake had always been pretty transparent, he wouldn't just try to coddle her. "Okay. Yeah, I've got a light jacket." She said, nodding. It was late October so it would work. "Sorry. I could tell things were progressing but I haven't worn anything explicitly tight and it freaked me out." She glanced down at her stomach. "And this is good, just it was an oh shit moment."

    "I noticed the other day a little but yeah you can really see today." Jake agreed, pulling his hand back. "But you're still feeling pretty good?"

    Margot nodded. "Yeah, the morning sickness is totally gone. I feel okay, really. Just freaked out over this." She waved her hand over her abdomen. She grabbed her jacket and walked out of the closet. She looked in the mirror. "I do look cute." She commented and Jake smiled.

    "You do." Jake said, kissing her. "Ready?"

    "Yep." Margot answered. She had on an olive bodycon dress and a pair of ankle boots. She picked up the gift box for her dad, though it was addressed to both him and Penny. She put her jacket over her arm. Jake took the box from her and she gave him a look. "I am capable of manual labor." She told him.