Chapter Twenty-One

Margot Mitchell
December

    Graduation day felt bittersweet. On the one hand, she'd be out of North Island by tomorrow. On the other, it meant leaving Isla, Rooster, her dad, and.....Jake behind. She had not lied to him that day, she was still in love with him. It fucking hurt every time she saw him. She was looking at him seated near the front of the ceremony, also in his dress whites. He had a few medals, similar to her brother. They had both completed the instructor course and would begin that position. Isla was signing on to stay officially as well. Captain Parker was giving Margot until the end of the day and kept insisting she would be a good one. Her dad had been a little disappointed she had decided not to stay, but didn't push it.

    "You all worked damn hard these last thirteen weeks. This is a hell of a program to be accepted into and finish. You all learned things you will take long into your careers." Captain Parker stated."Without further ado, the top placement goes to Lieutenant Margot Mitchell, and her WSO, Lieutenant Isla Álvarez. Congratulations."

    Isla squeezed Margot's hand with a grin, which she returned. They walked forward together with the plaque to get a photo with it. Margot smiled a little, seeing their names engraved. It was a huge accomplishment, and she was proud of them. She could see her brother smiling at the two of them.

    Margot returned to her seat, as other speeches began. Iceman spoke, as the Commander, and a few other officers. She was surprised when Jake was speaking. She had no idea, but then again, she knew very little of his life the last two weeks.

    "Introductions aren't needed, you all should know my face. If not, that's a pity for you." Jake began, gathering a few laughs. "To no one's surprise, I was asked to speak today. These last thirteen weeks were without a doubt the best of my life. This is an incredible program and I am looking forward to starting now as a Top Gun instructor. Which may scare some of you," Margot saw Captain Parker nodded, but had an amused expression. "I think it's important to go after things you want and to not give up. Life is funny in the sense that it can be great one moment and strip something away the next. We have to seize those opportunities and never let something we want slip by."

    Margot realized after a moment there was an underlying message. It wasn't just about Top Gun, but he was talking about her. "I found something special here starting this program. And I think it is the best thing that has ever happened to me. I hope all of you can find that too as you begin your journey after graduation. Congratulations to our graduates. You're good, and maybe in a few years you may be almost as good as me." He winked.

    Jake stepped down from the podium as the ceremony finished. People broke up, and the celebration began. She slowly approached Jake after and looked up at him. "Nice speech." She told him, and Jake flashed a grin.

    "Are we talking now?" Jake questioned.

    Margot tried not to be distracted by how good he looked in his dress whites. "Jake....." She began.

    "I cut my mom off, for good." Jake told her. "Traded in the car. I'm now the proud owner of a pretty bad ass Jeep Wrangler. Your brother thinks it's snot colored but I prefer that it looks like the Hulk. I also blocked her number." He paused. "Tell me what happened. Please. Even if you don't want to see me again. Just so I know I am not insane."

    "Jeep fits you better. The Audi was a little too Tony Stark." Margot teased. She took a deep breath, deciding she owed him the truth. Especially after his speech up there. Not to mention, cutting his mom off was huge. "She blackmailed me into breaking up with you. She laid out our future which evidently included you marrying me then replacing me after we had kids. Because according to her, you wouldn't be attracted to me anymore. I'm also too career driven to give you the undivided attention you need." She said and she could see Jake's face shifting into anger. "She threatened me that she'd change your dad's will into her name, that she had the power to do so because of the way he handled it. Which would cut off any inheritance and some house he left you. I knew nothing about the house but still."

Anyone But Him // Jake Seresinजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें