Chapter Sixteen

Margot Mitchell
November

    The following day, Margot had started off with breakfast with her dad and Penny. She'd had a good time and was glad they'd made it happen. It was nice being able to see her dad like this. She hadn't a lot while she was at the academy or during her year at NAS Oceana. Just scheduling and the long distance made it hard. She'd come out for his wedding last year, and he came out once while she was in college. He'd been deployed once and given other orders overseas so he hadn't been able to go much. They'd gotten by with video calls, and that had been the start of trying to make things better. She'd spent so much of high school angry at him for never being there. Looking back, she knew some of it was being clouded with grief after her mom's death.

    Once she got back home, she had taken another shower to get ready for the dinner with Jake's mom. She was nervous only because he'd made her out to be some kind of monster. Not the usual worrying if a boyfriend's parent would like you, it was more of not knowing what to expect. She was hopeful that maybe his mom had seen her old ways weren't effective with maintaining a relationship with her son and had come around. It was always possible, but Jake didn't seem to think so.

    "You sure you want to meet his mom? She sounds like a bitch. Plus he hasn't even been introduced to your dad as your boyfriend." Isla asked. She was sitting on Margot's bed, as Margot finished getting ready.

    "It's more in support rather than to meet her. And as for my dad, I decided if by the time we pass three months together things are still going good, I'll make that happen." Margot explained. "That's about how long I've waited before with dating before bringing in parents."

    "That's fair." Isla agreed. "I wait around the same amount. I like to make sure I'm sure. Because the first bit of a relationship is so euphoric and feels perfect. I like the honeymoon period to pass." She tilted her head. "Are you nervous about it?"

    "A little," Margot admitted, smoothing out her dress. "Just because not much seems to bother Jake, but she does." She looked back at her mirror. She had on a long red dress that was fitted and accentuated her curves. The top had an open neckline that closed with a halter top in the back. It had a slit that exposed a little of her calves when she walked and her red, peep toe heels. She had her hair blown out and styled her curtain bangs.

    "Good luck. Just focus on him." Isla said, as the doorbell rang.

    "Thanks. Are you and my brother hanging out tonight?" Margot asked, following her to the living room. She knew they'd still been seeing each other, but taking it slow. It hadn't hit the ground 100mph like she had with Jake.

    "Yep, movie night. Are you staying at Jake's after or coming back?" Isla pulled the door open to both Rooster and Jake. "Speaking of the devils."

    Margot looked at Jake and Rooster. Despite getting along better, they still looked awkward together. She thought it was kind of funny. "I'm ready, let's go so we aren't late." She said, squeezing past her brother. She looked at Jake and had a big grin on her face. He looked good. "Had I known a fancy dinner with the devil would have gotten you dressed up like this, I'd have begged sooner." Margot told him. He had on a beige suit she hadn't seen before, with a white shirt underneath that was open at the top. No tie, and he left the jacket open.

    "I do like when you beg-" Jake began and Rooster groaned loudly.

    "I've heard enough. Goodbye you two. Don't bother responding because my ears have bled out and I can't hear you." Rooster told them, Isla laughed from the door. Margot saw her grab Rooster's hand and pull him inside.