Chapter Fourteen

Jake Seresin
November

    The morning after the Halloween party, Jake woke up before Margot did. He saw her sleeping next to him, wearing the button down he'd had on for the party. She had pulled it on after sex to sleep in. They talked for a little while after about what happened with her brother. He was glad it was out in the open now, but hated it had been such a shit show. He knew he hadn't helped the situation, but it had been pissing him off how Rooster was acting like her keeper. Jake didn't have siblings, so he couldn't exactly relate to the feeling.

    He had started leaving some clothes at her place, as she had done with his, and pulled on a pair of black sweatpants. He figured he'd let her sleep. He knew the house was a disaster from the party, though he and Margot never rejoined it. He pulled the covers higher over her, and left her bedroom after pocketing his phone off the nightstand. It was still strange to him in some ways to wake up with her. He wasn't used to it. Whenever he had been seeing a girl, they were usually gone the next morning and rarely stayed the night. He hadn't been a fan of that before Margot.

    Jake walked into the kitchen where the girls kept the coffee. He was right, the house was a mess. He raised his eyebrows when he saw Rooster cleaning up. He also noticed a donut box. "You and Isla having sleepovers already?" He asked, "Don't forget a condom, we wouldn't want any chicks running around here." He grinned as he started coffee. He lifted the donut box and raised his eyebrows. "You like sprinkled donuts?" He made a face at them.

    "I slept here but on the couch." Rooster answered. "Not that it's any of your business but we haven't had sex yet." He rolled his eyes at the chick joke. "You better be being fucking careful with Margot." He added, and Jake heard the seriousness in his tone. He tied the trash bag he was holding. "God, no. They're Margot's favorite. They're my apology for trying to deck her.....boyfriend." Rooster said the last part carefully, as if he was still processing it.

    Jake turned around, crossing his arms as he leaned back against the counter. He was a little surprised he hadn't slept with Isla yet, but it was his business. He didn't know how much they'd gone out or not yet. Jake was the one rolling his eyes now. "Do you really want to discuss my sex life with your sister?" He asked and Rooster shot him a look. "Not that it's any of your business but we're careful. I'm not as reckless as you think." He should have known the donuts were for her. She liked all those ridiculously sweet things. "I was egging you on." He admitted.

    "No shit." Rooster replied, "Which doesn't make me think you're taking this seriously."

    Jake got out two mugs, and poured coffee into one. He slid the other mug to Rooster and got out another trash bag to help. He was assuming Isla was still asleep. "You and I don't have the type of friendship to talk about women, but because it's your sister, I'll tell you that this is the most serious I've taken anything before in my life. I care about her." He said, "And by some miracle, she seems to care about me."

    Rooster also poured coffee, and Jake noticed he also drank his black. "Yeah I haven't figured that part out." He said and Jake just smirked. "So two months? That's got to be a record for you." He told him, going back to helping clean up. "Maverick is never going to approve of this by the way."

    "I've had another serious relationship." Jake said, "I met her before Top Gun. I didn't know she was your sister, Maverick's daughter or even a pilot." He explained, taking a sip from the mug. He shrugged. "I've got a way with parents." He joked with a wink. He didn't think he could win Maverick over.