Bonus Chapter

Jake Seresin
July

    Jake had to hide his amusement when he noticed how pale Rooster's face was. When he had talked with him a few weeks ago about this, he had been okay. Jake supposed this was the reality of it staring him in the face. Meanwhile, his girlfriend was practically screaming next to him.

    "It's perfect. Oh my God." Isla commented. She was holding the engagement ring box. They were at Isla's place, Jake had come by to show them. "Do you think she has any idea?" She asked.

    "No. It's come up in conversation that we'd like to get married but I don't think she has any idea it's on my radar." Jake answered. "You're unusually quiet." He commented to Rooster.

    "I think it's too big." Rooster answered, and Isla popped his arm. "Seriously, what the hell did this cost? She's going to be upset with you."

    "Around $85k." Jake responded, and Isla tossed the ring box in the air like she was holding a bomb. Rooster caught it though and handed it back to Jake.

    "You are fucking rich then." Rooster commented, as if he hadn't quite believed it before. "You've seriously got it all. I almost want to marry you."

    Jake wasn't entirely surprised Rooster hadn't understood the depth of it. He didn't exactly flaunt it, except for something like this. And he got tired of explaining why he chose to go into the Navy if he had money. He didn't want to be a trust fund brat and the Navy had been an escape from his mom at the time. "It's not like I live off it, but yeah, it's there. My dad and his family. His parents were successful real estate developers in New York, and some old family money. I plan to take her to meet them while we're there. The only sane part of my family." He explained. His grandparents were fucking awesome and not snobs like Victoria. "And my dad's practice did really well." He winked at Rooster after his marriage comment. "Sorry, I don't do mustaches."

    "I don't think it's too big. I think she's going to love it." Isla interjected. "And your plan for the proposal. She's definitely going to say yes."

    "Obviously." Jake said, grinning.

    "I hope she says yes." Rooster told him, but Jake saw a hint of amusement there. "I never would have thought when I met your pretty boy ass years ago you'd be marrying into my family."

    "Ditto, except I'm more horrified my children will share your DNA." Jake replied, and Rooster groaned. Jake guessed he hadn't thought about them having kids. "But considering you and Margot look nothing alike, and my genes are strong, I am sure they'll be fine."

    Rooster rolled his eyes. "So you tried talking to Maverick?" He asked.

    "Yep. More than once. I suspect he knew what it was about and made himself busy. I don't feel that I need his permission but I wanted to at least talk to him." Jake answered. "So, I came to you instead."

    "And you don't need permission, but I am okay with this. You love her, you're respectful to her and that's enough for me. And for what it's worth, our mom would have loved you. It would have been pretty annoying how much she would have." Rooster told him, and Jake grinned.

    "And I already gave you my best friend approval. And you get it like three times over for that ring." Isla added. "I'm sorry about Maverick though."

    Jake shrugged. "It bothers me for her, not me. Though it is insulting he won't even try to get to know me." Jake said, twisting the ring box between his fingers. "She doesn't need me to but obviously I can take care of her, I support her....the opposite of all the shit he's assuming." He said, "And I am guessing I am the only boyfriend he did this with."

    "I didn't know her in high school, but he didn't really treat Ryder like that. But to be fair, he wasn't around. We lived on the east coast and were in school." Isla answered. "And Ryder is like the boy next door type, plus, I think we knew it wasn't long term. They had chemistry, but it was more of friendship. I finally realized that last year."

    "I was at college when she dated in high school, and the Kazansky's pretty much raised her. So I don't know." Rooster added, "But yeah, I'd say it's probably just you."

    "Well, I've always been an overachiever. Shouldn't be surprising." Jake told them, trying to make a joke, though it stung unexpectedly. "Now, keep this to yourselves the next three months." He stood up.

    "Want to store the ring here?" Isla offered, "I doubt she'll snoop but up to you."

    "I'll put it in my safe. But if it seems she might find it, I'll move it." Jake answered. He turned to leave, but stopped when he heard Rooster speak again.

    "Jake," Rooster said, surprising him with the use of his first name. "We're happy for you. Seriously." He held out his hand to Jake, who shook it. He knew Rooster meant something a little more and Jake appreciated it.