Chapter Thirty-Nine

Margot Seresin
August

    "So," Margot began, sitting across from Rooster and Isla in the living room. They had gotten back from their honeymoon the night before. They were both looking particularly tan from their week at the beach in the Bahamas. Her brother had always tanned good while Margot burned like a piece of bacon. The trip had been their wedding present from Isla's parents. They both seemed a lot more relaxed than they had before the wedding, Isla especially. Margot had been in touch with Isla some, but hadn't brought up the pregnancy again. She figured when they got back they could talk, which is what this was bright and early on Saturday morning.

    "Are you two getting a divorce? Because we want Margot to get us in the custody agreement." Rooster asked, and Isla elbowed him. He looked amused, while his wife didn't. Though Margot didn't exactly blame him for the random question, her summons had been kind of vague.

    "No, of course not." Margot answered. "I.....we......" She wasn't sure why she was nervous to tell them. Isla obviously knew she was pregnant at the wedding but didn't know what they had decided past that. It wasn't a big deal to announce but for some reason she had nerves.

    Jake glanced at her then looked back at Rooster and Isla. "We're having a baby." He said, then moved to stand up. "And there you have it. I've got to go, I'm supposed to be meet your dad in thirty minutes." He had been invited out to Maverick's hangar to work on his P-51. Margot couldn't believe how matter of factly he said it then was getting ready to head out the door. That was probably the best way to handle it though.

    "What?" Rooster asked, glancing between them.

    Jake sighed. "I. Knocked. Up. Your. Sister." He said, slowly, as if Rooster didn't know what he meant.

    "Jake!" Margot exclaimed, giving her husband a look.

    "What? He didn't seem to understand." Jake replied, "And if you're about to launch into some kind of older brother speech, save it." He added to Rooster. Margot tugged on the loop of his jeans to get him to sit back down. She heard him sigh but he did sit again.

    "I wasn't. I am just surprised, I didn't realize you two were trying." Rooster explained, then glanced at his wife. "You're oddly quiet."

    Isla was grinning ear to ear, despite her silence. "I already knew." She told Rooster. "I just didn't know what they decided to do." She shrugged when Rooster looked shocked she knew. "She took a test at the wedding and asked to keep it quiet. It wasn't my place to tell."

    "We weren't trying." Margot said, "Trust me, we're just as surprised."

    Rooster was quiet then started laughing. Margot glanced at Jake, who looked equally confused. "I'm sorry, just this is gold. Seresin likes to act like he's better than all of us then scores an accidental pregnancy." Rooster mused.

    "Hey, I'm the other end of this that you think is so hilarious." Margot pointed out, crossing her arms. "It's not just him."

    Jake shrugged, apparently not bothered by Rooster's teasing. "Birth control is only 99% effective. So we're in the 1%. I actually find it to be quite an accomplishment on my end." He told Rooster, who rolled his eyes. Jake would find a way to make an arrogant remark.