Chapter Thirty-Eight

Margot Seresin
August

    "You sure you want to do this here?" Isla asked, standing against the bathroom counter. She took a sip of her champagne and sat it on the counter. "I'm happy to do whatever you want. I know I pressured you into it now, and I am sorry. I shouldn't have pushed you." She told Margot.  "If you want to wait, that's okay too."

    "I'm not going to be able to relax until I know." Margot answered. She knew Isla was right earlier, she needed to get it over with. "But you shouldn't be spending your wedding reception in here. You should be out there with your husband." She nodded to the door that led back into the reception.

    Isla gave her a look. "And you're my best friend, this is important." She smiled, "And sister now," She added. She walked past Margot, pushing a stall door open. "Go pee on the stick."

    "Okay, okay." Margot replied, not wanting to argue further with Isla. She knew they weren't leaving that bathroom now until it was done. "You are really pushy sometimes." She added. Isla only laughed though. She walked inside, closing the door behind her. When she exited a moment later, she sat the pregnancy test on the counter. Isla pushed a timer on her phone. The test had a countdown on it, but the max time would be three minutes.

    "I'm guessing this wasn't planned?" Isla asked, and Margot shook her head. She hadn't gotten into all of that earlier. 

    "No. We want kids, but had planned to wait another year or so. Especially with the house situation. We keep getting out bid on every single house we put an offer on, it's gotten a lot harder than we expected." Margot answered. "I don't even know how this happened. I've never missed my birth control."

    "One, you don't know it's happened. Two, even perfectly taken, it's still only about 99% effective." Isla pointed out. "Even the time you take it shifting can mess it up some." She was quiet for a moment. "If you are, you know I'll do anything I can to help out right? You guys aren't in it alone. Say you can't get a house before it's here, we have that third room. We'll figure it out. And if you guys decide not to keep it, I'll be there for that too. Either way, it's going to be okay."

    Margot nodded, and felt Isla squeeze her hand. "I know." She told her. She jumped the timer went off on Isla's phone, and the two girls looked at one another. "We can not look," She suggested. She wasn't sure why she was so nervous. She was a married adult.

    "True." Isla agreed. "But do you think you can go back out there and forget it?" She read Margot's face. "That's what I thought."

    "You look," Margot told her. Not that it really made a difference, but at least she wasn't the one reading the screen first. 

    Isla picked up the test, then looked at Margot. Isla's face showed no evidence of what she saw. "Ready?" She asked, and Margot nodded. "It's positive."

"Are you pulling a Friends and just seeing what I thought? We are in a bathroom at a wedding." Margot questioned, but Isla flipped the test screen to face her. She wasn't, in fact, pulling a Phoebe. It had a digital screen that read words, not lines, and was clear as a day.

    Margot felt a wave of shock, but not quite like she expected. She supposed this was what she had anticipated, especially after noticing symptoms. "Holy shit." She said, looking at the test. "I always thought you'd get pregnant first." She added, mostly joking. Though once upon a time, that seemed likely. Isla had once been ready to settle down and all fast, but that had slowed some over the years.