Ten Years Later

Margot Seresin

Life felt like constant chaos sometimes around here, but at the same time, Margot wouldn't change a thing. She and Jake managed to figure things out and make life work. It wasn't without challenge, but she was in awe at the life they had built together. It wasn't always exactly how she intended, but life was more fun with surprises and changes. It definitely took work to get where they were now.

It was their annual Fourth of July party, something they had started a few years ago. They had moved into a bigger house about two years ago, and it had a pool in the backyard, making their house the hot spot for the summer with the family. Her and Isla usually did the planning, and it was always a blast. They had traditions every year and sometimes did something new depending on requests.

Margot sat down the tray of snacks on the patio table. They'd re-done their patio area too, it had a bar, built in grill and other amenities. It was pretty fucking cool, and they spent a lot of time outside during the summer. She looked out into the yard at the volleyball court where Jake was. He had turned forty last month and fuck. He only got better with age and she was watching his toned body as he worked with their daughter on serving the ball against the other team.

Summer Elizabeth Seresin was easily the biggest surprise of both of their lives. She also had a huge personality and somehow reminded Margot so much of her mom. Which was ironic, considering Margot wanted her initials to match their last name, just like her mom had done with her and her own brother. Elizabeth was her mom's middle name, and the choice had been easy when naming her.

Summer looked just like Margot, minus her eyes. She had her dad's green eyes, she was the opposite of Luke who looked like Jake but had Margot's blue ones. She was on the smaller side, Jake always teased Margot she had passed her "shortness" onto their daughter. Despite it, Summer never let it stop her. She hit the volleyball and Jake gave her a high five. Margot smiled, thinking back to the day she told Jake she was pregnant with her. It was a day neither of them ever forgot.

Coming home from a last minute doctor appointment, Margot met Jake in the living room. She decided the best way to handle this was just to blurt it out, because she was still unable to process what the hell she had just been told an hour ago. Jake was beaming when she came in.

"I've got news!" Jake told her. He looked like an excited kid on Christmas. She was worried she was about to crush him.

"I do too," Margot said, and Jake looked thrilled. She wasn't sure he was going to look like that in a few seconds.

    "Let's just share at the same time. I am so on top of the fucking world right now." Jake said, "We should be celebrating good news." Margot hadn't said hers was good though, and she wasn't sure how he was going to react.

"I got into law school!" Jake announced at the same time Margot blurted out "I'm pregnant?"

Jake stared at Margot as she covered her mouth. He didn't look upset, but looked like he had just seen a ghost.

"You got in?" Margot asked, "Oh my God, Jake!" She hugged him. He had been waiting on his acceptance letter for weeks.

Jake hugged her back and looked at her again, nodding to answer her question, but appeared to be in a daze. "You....how......I don't understand...." He said, looking at her with concern. "You can't be pregnant, you had Luke six months ago."