34

Rose doesn't just come back into the room, she almost runs in there. There's no one there. Jennie's not here. She's not in the bathroom either. What should I do? Rose, without thinking, quickly goes to Irene. Surely the girl went to a friend. She needs to hurry, her leg is about to hurt. At any moment. What if something worse happens and she can't walk at all, even after taking a pill? What if she has to have surgery? God, no. It's like death. It's better to die than to be left without volleyball for another year. She will not tolerate another year of rehabilitation. She needs that fucking pill! Right now!

Jennie is not in Irene's room. Interrupting the conversation with the girls in the middle of a sentence, Rose runs back to her room. There's no way she's going to let her leg get in trouble. She takes a bottle from the bedside table and greedily drinks the water. Her back hurts too. The girl touches her forehead. She seems to have a high fever. How long has she been off the pill? More than a day. This is already good. What Jennie wanted. But now she just needs the pill.

Rose sits down on the bed. She's exaggerating. Of course, she's exaggerating. It's just that she's irritated, and also this pain, and a high fever. It's not that scary. She'll just wait for Jennie. Wherever she is.

Where is she?! The blonde is looking at the time on her phone again. She unlocks the screen and types a message.

Rose: Where are you?! I need my pill, my leg hurts!

Jennie: I'm in the first-aid post.

Rose: What?! And what do you want me to do?!

Jennie: ?

Rose: I need my fucking pill, Jennie. My leg hurts! And you also gave me a cold. What the hell are you doing there? Can you come back?

Park sends an SMS, and then squeezes the phone so hard that it is about to crack.

Jennie is not responding to the message.

Rose: Hey! You can get mad all you want, that's your business. But I need a pill, my fucking leg hurts! Are you stupid???

Jennie: Take it from my suitcase.

Rose: I don't want to go through your suitcase!

Jennie: You have to. I didn't think drug addicts were so principled.

Rose throws the water bottle to the side, and it falls loudly to the floor.

Rose: What does that have to do with it? My leg hurts! What if my leg gets worse? You're selfish!

Jennie: Rose, you're such a fool.

Roseanne throws the phone on the bed, but does not calculate the force, and it flies away, slipping and falling to the floor. She is standing in front of her roommate's bed. She stands and watches. She was allowed to. There's nothing wrong with that. She will take what belongs to her.

She slowly squats down, carefully holding her leg to stretch it out to the side. Nothing works, and she just sits down on the floor. Her hands are shaking as she pulls out the suitcase. She opens the suitcase uncertainly, but still. She takes out a box of pills, unwraps it, but with more fussy and abrupt movements. She takes only one pill from there. She puts it back away. She needs to take everything. She pulls out the pills again and takes her pills back.

Rose quickly gets up and goes to the bottle. There's some water left. She takes a pill in her mouth and washes it down with water. She goes back to her bed and lies down. She closes her eyes.