38

Jennie needs to go back to the room for the joint and take the pills just in case. Deciding to do two things at the same time, she invites Eunchae to talk there.

Eunchae sits down on the empty bed opposite Jennie.

-You didn't eat it?- Her gaze falls on the chocolates that she brought not so long ago.

-I don't eat sweets that often, but I'll definitely do it.- Jennie replies, noticing the pills next to the chocolates that she forgot to put away. She needed to get Eunchae to say everything she wanted to say faster, and then go about her business.

There is silence in the room. Jennie makes herself comfortable on the bed, climbing on it with her feet and leaning back on the pillow pressed against the back:

-I don't want to rush you, but...

-Yes, I'm... thinking where to start. Actually, it's not that difficult. I had a friend in junior high. We often walked together. My mom liked him. There were popular girls and boys, there were those who were offended, and there were us. We were not offended. But no one needed us either. He was ordinary, nothing special. Then high school. It turned out that he was handsome. I hadn't even thought about it before. I'm used to. I admitted that he had changed. Even over the summer, he got prettier. I haven't changed, which is what I was. But suddenly he was needed. The girls needed him, the boys needed him. His life began to change, but mine did not. I was glad that everything was going so well for him. I even gave him space. Until there was so much of him that I disappeared altogether. He was letting me know that his life was different now. He became uninterested in walking with me. I started talking to someone too. With the girls. I didn't really like them. I liked the others. People like you. But they... they were always whining. They always have studies in their head. They're always talking nonsense, like they're ten years old. Then, the next year, a new boy came to our class. I really liked him. Riki became friends with him. They became good friends. I think that boy was my first love. I didn't bother him. This is the first time I've asked him for something. I wanted him to introduce me. She wanted us to go out together. Yuta would definitely like me. I knew that. I once listened in class to what he was interested in, how he spoke. About different things. We would have been friends. He could have loved me. I asked Riki.

The girl falls silent, and Jennie thinks further. Apparently, Eunchae overestimates herself too much. And knowing what teenagers can be like, it's not hard to guess how it all could have ended: she probably got hurt for such stupidity and naivety. And then Eunchae probably punished them, because it's not for nothing that she became famous for being crazy. That's why everyone avoids her. From what Jennie hears, Eunchae doesn't seem crazy or weird to her. Quite a normal girl, and her story is quite normal, though certainly cruel ahead.

-I asked him to. In general, he agreed. He invited me to their party. We had a good time. Yuta liked me. He paid a lot of attention to me...

Jennie thinks she jumped to conclusions. Obviously, Eunchae clearly didn't understand something or doesn't understand it.

-At some point, posts started appearing on Twitter. There were posts from Riki too. Our photos with signatures. Very nasty signatures. Yuta assured me that he had nothing to do with it. It turned out to be Riki. He was jealous because his friend was spending a lot of time with me.

"Classic", Jennie thinks, trying not to sigh and give away the opinion that Eunchae behaved like a naive fool.

-... They laughed at me at school. No one believed me. I didn't have a childhood friend anymore. I hated him for it. Then... I snuck into Yuta's house: I had to talk to him because he asked me not to talk to Riki at school, saying that it would only make it worse for the two of us. I believed him. But he was in the room with Yunjin. They were kissing. They saw me. They were amused. I ran away from there. I realized that everything was a lie. Then rumors began to circulate around the school. Nasty things about me. I was bullied, and my mom took me away. I spent a year at home. Doctors came to us. At school, they thought I was in a mental hospital. That's a lie. It's all a lie. I know it was over when I returned, and they didn't say anything else because they were banned, because they could be punished for bullying and similar behavior. There were rumors that I threatened them with a knife. I don't want you to think that. I felt bad. I didn't threaten anyone. There was simply no stopping them. Everyone says what they want, spreading false gossip. And it's no better here...- Eunchae seems to stop.