49

The time drags on for an excruciatingly long time, and it seems to Jennie that she has been sitting in this office for at least an hour. Finally, the same man in civilian clothes appears, whom she has already seen.

-I'm Detective Foster, this is Officer Ross.- He introduces her to the policeman who follows him in.

Foster goes into the office and sits down at the table opposite Jennie.

They are located in the administrative building, in a room that resembles a meeting room in offices. Only more comfortable. There is a bookcase with books, and there are different flowers on the windowsills.

Jennie doesn't say anything. If they've returned, it means they've already searched the room. It's over. Now she will be arrested and taken to the police station, and after that, perhaps, she will be handed over to those who deal in drugs. She's going to jail. No. First, they will ask her where she got the drugs, and then they will put her in jail. She saw somewhere, in some movie, that you can give away the seller, and then they can give you less jail time. Does this apply to the sale? But... she didn't sell anything! Would they really believe Eunchae? What if Eunchae dies? If this crazy girl dies, can she be imprisoned for life just because she said before she died that she bought drugs from her? Eunchae is allergic, didn't she know that the drug could kill her? Jennie can feel her forehead sweating, but she holds herself together without wiping it.

-Do you know Hong Eunchae?

-Yes.- Jennie answers faintly, waiting for him to say that she has been arrested. Prison awaits her. What will happen to her in prison? She can't just show up there, like at the camp, and take someone's table. She won't be able to do anything at all against real criminals. She will be killed there. At this thought, she is thrown into a fever again, after which an unpleasant chill runs through her body. No, she wouldn't cross anyone in prison. Or maybe there are not such people as she imagines them to be? Why would they kill her?- But we're not friends.- The brown-haired woman adds, trying to stay in reality.

-What kind of relationship were you in?- He settles down more comfortably and stares at the girl intently, studying her.

-She's... She's a little weird. She tried to communicate with me almost from the very beginning, but our communication was... Our communication was always short-lived. Actually... We wouldn't have become friends. She was a bit intrusive.- Jennie tries to choose her words.

The detective is silent for a while.

Her forehead tickles, and Jennie rubs it with her hand. She forgot that she had ordered herself not to do this. Now he can see that she's nervous. He frowns, and Jennie restrains herself from commenting on the fact that it's hot in here. That's not so. She's the only one who's hot in here.

-Did you give Eunchae any drugs?- He tilts his head to the side. He looks like he's being playful. It's like he's about to get answers to his questions. He doesn't look puzzled. Why, if they've already found the pills?

-No. I didn't give her anything.

-Do you take drugs yourself?

-No... But...- She hesitates. This is a terrible question. Is it worth telling the truth, or is it better to deny everything about drugs? She's not under arrest. There is no one nearby who will tell you what to say and what to shut up about.- Don't I need a lawyer?

-Jennie, we're just talking, you can tell me what happened. We'll figure it out.

But she doesn't want to talk to him at all. Jennie puts her hands under the table, and then wipes her palms on her shorts. The brown-haired girl is no longer looking at him. Shyness and fear recede, giving way to anger and a desire to be rude. It's all his intonation. Does he take her for an idiot? She needs to control herself.