54

Rose is lying on the bed, her mother is sitting next to her, and they are watching the doctor who goes into the office. Pulling up a chair, he sits down opposite the bed.

-Rose, the tests showed that everything is not so bad. The remaining part of the ligament quite successfully stabilizes the shin in the knee joint. So the injury you had was repeated. The swelling has almost subsided, and the acute period has passed. We're transferring you to a rehabilitation center. Today I will help you choose an orthosis for the knee joint with complete restriction of movement. No, Rose.- The doctor smiles, noticing how Rose glanced at her knee pad.- You will have a hinged, rehabilitation orthosis.

-I've already watched some of them.- The woman says.- Rose, we will choose the best one. I asked the doctor to help us.

-Rose, I'm not a sports doctor, but I can advise you to change your technique. To jump on the foot in some other way.

-Rose, did your coach tell you about this?

The girl finally stops looking at her mother. Their speech seems to her too fast, not giving her time to think, to concentrate. Not that she cared what they said. They keep calling her name, and it seems like some kind of elaborate trick to draw attention to their words. They succeed, although she would prefer the conversation to be without her participation.

-Mom, what's the difference? Let's get this over with quickly. Let's have a hinge orthosis. I don't care.

-Rose! What's going on with you?- She catches her daughter's glance at the phone lying next to her. The woman covers it with her hand, and then decides that this is not enough, and takes it away.

-I just want to get down to business faster and that's it. Mom.- Rose sighs heavily, closing her eyes. She needs a phone. It should be lying so that she can see its screen.

-Rose, aren't you at all interested in what we're talking about right now?- The doctor is mildly interested.

-I don't care.

-She didn't care before. We need to change the situation, we need to change something. Baby, it's going to be okay.

Rose cringes at Mom's sympathetic look, but doesn't say anything. It doesn't matter. The phone was taken away. But she'll hear it if a message comes. I don't think she'll do anything about it, but at least she'll know.

There is still silence in the room, and Mom is still looking at her. She's waiting for a reaction. It's the same with the doctor. She is very sorry, but she does not have the strength to pretend. It would be faster if this was all over.

-Rose, you will undergo treatment at the rehabilitation center, and in two or three weeks you will have your orthosis removed. If there are no signs of instability, surgery won't be necessary.- The doctor breaks the silence.

-Yes, I've been through this before.

-Conservative treatment will restore your health faster, but if you plan to exercise intensively in the future, it is better to have surgery.- He examines the patient, waiting for at least some reaction.- But it depends on your decision. You'll have time to think about it.

-Yes, in general, I don't care.

-Rose! Don't say that. I'm sorry, please.

-If I had had surgery earlier, then all this would not have happened.

-We decided this together!- The woman raises her tone.- Stop talking like that! Pull yourself together!

-I'm sorry.- Rose says sharply.- I'm sorry.- She immediately adds in a lower voice.