44

Jennie is sitting on the windowsill and fingering Rose's pills. It's been three days since Eunchae nearly strangled her roommate. Rose decided to take pills every two days, and if possible, then once every three days. They write on the Internet that their reception cannot be stopped abruptly. Jennie has not been able to find more detailed information to find out what exactly is meant: take the pills every few days or just reduce the dose. Rose has forty milligrams of pills, and Jennie is more inclined to think that it is better to reduce the dose rather than skip days. She's not sure. In any case, she, as promised, supports Rose in any decision.

Jennie doesn't know what exactly made her roommate more determined to get off the pills. Eunchae scared her a lot, of course, but that doesn't explain anything. It's just that Rose suddenly changed. One more time. Jennie didn't get anything out of her, as she always did. But she thinks about it while Rose is in the shower. She's been thinking about it since yesterday. It was hard not to notice the changes in Rose's behavior, it was too obvious. She became quiet but sharp. Rose became harsh with everyone except Jennie.

When Rose talked about pills, she was very determined. And it wasn't a forced decision, as if she had to. No. It sounded easy and strict. It's like she's being forced to keep taking pills, and all of a sudden she says, "That's enough." And Jennie should be happy, because if Rose decides something, she will follow it. If Rose has any rules, then she adheres to them. For example, Jennie would definitely not be able not to swear. Especially in stressful situations. Judging by the argument with her friend, Rose used to swear a lot, and if she made it a rule to refuse it, then she follows it. What was alarming, however, was not her roommate's determination, but the consequences.

Jennie flinches when Rose gets out of the shower. She was so lost in her thoughts that she completely forgot that she was not alone in the room.

The brown-haired girl watches the girl who takes off the towel, standing in front of the closet, and then looks for what to wear. Jennie examines her bare back, buttocks, legs. She sighs heavily. The heat in her stomach immediately spreads throughout her body, and it seems to Jennie that the room has become stuffy. She can't breathe, and she gets distracted by opening the window a crack.

Rose is in no hurry to get dressed and is not even distracted by the noise her roommate is making. Not so long ago, Jennie would have looked at this girl's naked body as something that belongs to her. She could have come up and touched it at any moment. But now she is experiencing emotions similar to those that were at the very beginning. Rose is far away and inaccessible. Not her. How is it possible to go through such a range of relationships in a month? From the inaccessible to something close to oneself. From pleasure to crisis. Does this really happen? Are they really going to break up like this?

Rose walks with Jennie herself these days. She pays attention to her. She's nearby. But it didn't get any better. Everything is as it was. Maybe Jennie is creating this atmosphere herself. She had never been able to forget what Rose had said to Jennie. She couldn't forget the way Rose talked to her. And now, when Rose quietly walks around and sometimes seems to fawn like a puppy... Nothing changes.

Jennie can't take a step forward again. Because for her, Rose was a closed book, and remained so. The only thing in her power is to help and pretend that everything is fine. So strange. After all, she was able to figure out Rose at the beginning. She was able to figure it out when she was a stranger. Why then is it impossible to understand what is happening to a loved one?

Kim frowns as Rose freezes with a T-shirt in her hands. The blonde was almost dressed, only a T-shirt remained. Why is she standing there and not moving?

-Is everything okay?- Jennie asks, swinging her legs off the windowsill onto the bed.

Rose stands silently for a while, and then slowly turns around. Her eyes were tear-stained. Was she crying? Did she get shower gel in her eyes? Jennie frowns, not understanding what's going on. All the ease they've been working on for these three days immediately disappears, and the atmosphere in the room instantly heats up. Tension is building up.