53

-Are you coming?

-Wait a minute.- Jennie fiddles with her phone. She should get up and go. There are two hours left until the end of the visiting time. She's been sitting here for fifteen minutes. All she has to do is get up and get out of the car.

-I'll go with you.- Yuri says decisively, pulling the keys out of the ignition.- But I'm not going into the room.- She hurries to add.- But I'm bored here.

-Okay.- Jennie reluctantly agrees. It will look like she is being escorted to her destination like a child. So what? Isn't she acting like a child right now, delaying the inevitable?

-Don't you want to warn her?

-Actually, no.- Jennie answers thoughtfully.- I want to surprise her. Although this is hardly a surprise.

Ten minutes later, they are already in front of the door to the room where Rose is.

-I'll sit here.- Yuri says, heading for the chair.- No, I'm going to get coffee first.

Jennie watches her until she disappears around the corner, then returns her gaze to the door. What if Rose is not alone? What if her mom or friend is there? It's going to be so uncomfortable.... The brown-haired girl sighs heavily. Come on, it's not difficult at all. She reaches for the handle. No, it's damn difficult. Jennie notices how her hand is shaking and quickly pulls it back, clutching it to her chest. And how to do it? The door opens, and before she knows it, she's already looking into Rose's mom's eyes.

-Jennie!- She exclaims in surprise.- What a surprise!

-Uh, yes.- Jennie nervously scratches her temple and smiles wryly.- Hello, Mrs. Park.

-Rose, a friend has come to see you.- The door opens wider, and Jennie meets the gaze of Rose, who raises herself on her elbows.- Come in. I'll be back soon.

-Hi.- Jennie raises her hand in greeting. She looks around awkwardly for a place to sit or stand.

-Hi.- Rose answers softly.

Jennie feels her eyes on her as she walks to the window, where she noticed a chair. That's where she's going to sit. She doesn't dare look at Rose—for some reason it's too awkward. She is not used to these feelings.

-How are you?- She finally meets the blonde's eyes.

-I'm fine.- Rose's tone is still uncertain, and her voice is quiet. She stares at Jennie as if she doesn't believe she's seeing her.

-You're looking at me like that. You didn't think I was coming, or what?

-Well... I didn't think you should.

-I'm doing this for myself.- Jennie doesn't have time to pull herself together.

-I was sure you didn't need it.- Rose's voice is firmer now.

-I would tell you what I need. Do you think it's okay to ignore and then respond like that?

Rose looks at her in silence, and Jennie, emboldened, allows herself to examine the girl. Rose looks fine. At least here. Her face was ruddy, and her eyes, though with habitually small pupils, were full of life. Then her gaze drops lower: the leg is swollen, reddish. The picture is pretty creepy, and Jennie quickly looks up.

-I visited Eunchae.- Jennie says, without waiting for Rose to comment.

-So, after everything she did, you still went to her?!- Rose raises herself higher on her elbows, sitting with her back to the headboard.

-Rose, do you understand anything at all?- Jennie squints at her.

-Are you implying that I should have felt sorry for her? What are you talking about? I frankly don't care.- The blonde shrugs her shoulders.- I won't ask how she is. If it wasn't for her, I wouldn't be here here. And if circumstances hadn't worked out in our favor, then your drugs would have been found. Why the hell did you even go to her? That bitch doesn't deserve to be forgiven.