Part 46

On the seventh day, which was also the last day Qin Feng was ordered to cease flying operations.

Early in the morning, he got up, though distinguishing between day and night was virtually impossible in the bunker, as the lights outside were always on. They only dimmed somewhat at night, resembling darkness.

He stepped out of the bedroom to find Xu Jia already preparing breakfast.

"You're awake? Just wait a moment, breakfast will be ready soon," she said with a smile.

"Why are you up so early?" Qin Feng asked.

Xu Jia replied, "I know you're leaving today. Don't leave on an empty stomach, it's not good for your stomach."

Her words instantly reminded Qin Feng of his mother. Back when the Invaders hadn't launched their attack and Shield Mountain hadn't been activated yet, the sky was blue, the morning sun warm... Qin Feng would wake up to see his mother bustling in the kitchen, saying, "It's still early, go back to sleep for a while. You'll study better when you're well-rested."

"What are you thinking? Why are you crying?" Xu Jia's words brought him back to reality.

He quickly wiped his eyes and said, "Oh! Nothing, the chili is just too spicy for my eyes."

Xu Jia looked at the fried eggs and bread on the table. "Are you sure it's the chili bothering your eyes?"

He nodded. "Yeah, is breakfast ready? Let's eat~"

After breakfast, Qin Feng prepared to return to the defense zone because Xiaoya had sent him four or five messages urging him to come back. She didn't say what was going on, but she had called last night, saying he should come back this morning.

Before leaving, Xu Jia asked him, "When will you come back again?"

He shook his head and said, "I don't know, training is tight, it depends on the situation."

"Then I'll see you off."

As they stepped out, they happened to see Zhu Shixiang standing outside the door.

Xu Jia was surprised. "What are you doing here?"

He scratched his head with a smile. "Just passing by, just passing by."

Qin Feng asked, "You passed by on the third floor? Where are you going?"

"Uh..."

Xu Jia frowned. "You're not going to stay here all the time, are you?!"

"Oh, right!" He seemed to remember something and handed the plastic bag to Xu Jia, saying, "I came to bring you food."

"I haven't finished what you gave me yesterday~ Why don't you keep these snacks for yourself~" Xu Jia said.

"I don't want to eat these snacks, they're all for you."

Qin Feng said, "If someone gives you something, just take it~ After all, they came all the way here. Keep them for later."

"Yeah, keep them for later," Zhu Shixiang echoed.

"Alright then~" Xu Jia hesitated for a moment before taking the plastic bag back inside.

Zhu Shixiang glanced inside and asked, "Are you..."

"Leaving," Qin Feng interrupted.

"Where do you work?" Zhu Shixiang asked.

"At the defense zone."

"Are you a pilot?"

"Yes."

"Wow, impressive. I also want to be a pilot."