Chapter 312: Cave, Kamchatka Wilderness, Soviet Union, 1960

Cave

Kamchatka Wilderness

Soviet Union

1960

"The spiral eyes are back!" Shorty called.

Emily followed his gaze. She could see through the darkness a narrow winding passageway that seemed to loop upward, and around the chasm acting like a catwalk in a theater.

"I see it, Dad. The path is ugly."

Indy shut his eyes for a moment. "I see it too. We'll have to crawl."

"How can you see it?" Shorty wondered. "I can't see my hand in front off my face!"

"All I can say Shorty, is that sometimes - instincts just know." Indy sounded weary. "Like when you came to rescue me in the Temple of Doom. No one gave you directions or instructions - you just showed up and saved the day."

"Should I trust it, Dad?" Emily swallowed.

"It's the only path we've got. We can't go back the way we came."

"Right." She reached for Indy's hand. He squeezed her sweaty palm. "Em... however this turns out, whatever happens: I love you. Same for you, Shorty. Shoulda said that a long time ago."

"Love you too, Dad." Emily whispered, pain flickering at the edges of her vision.

"I love you, Dad," Shorty's voice trembled. "You're some of the only family I've got left... since Lizavet..."

"Shorty - I don't think Lizavet is gone." Indy murmured gently. "Let's go, kids."