Time of Dying (Merome)

Was it all too much?
Or just not enough?

My breathing became ragged as I clawed at the ground, trying and failing to push myself back up.

Blood dripped and stained the grass, falling from my gashed-open throat, completely staining my fur. My attacker kept his grip on his diamond sword, watching as I bled out.

"I thought you were... weaker."

"I thought you'd beat me."

My gaze flitted up, meeting his for a second. Was that regret in his voice?

Giving in, I collapsed, side shuddering and starting to halt as my lungs caved in on themselves.

I let myself chuckle, even though it hurts. "You were wrong."

"So I see..."

With a slight crinkle of grass, he knelt next to me, moving my head so it rested on his knees. His fingers wound down through my fur.

"Do you want me to try and save you, or do you want me to make it quick?"

The question took me by surprise. He was my opponent - he should be laughing, watching as I died.

"Only one of us can... can live."

Talking, along with breathing, was becoming difficult. The inside of my throat was filled with blood, and it must sound as if I was underwater.

"I know."

I looked up at him, my eyes wide as the blood flow started to cease, my heart growing weaker.

"Just... Just tell me your name... Then make it quick."

"Mitch," he smiled, expression sad. He grabbed my own axe, and brought it to my throat.

"One..."

His grip on the weapon tightened.

"Two..."

He took a final shuddering breath.

I never lived to hear "three."

Wake me up
I'm living a nightmare...

····

A quick thank you to MCWildflowers for the ship.

Short, I know... I'm posting a few 300 or less ones before the 4500+ one I'll be posting.... Sometime.

See ya next chapter?

Baii