Magician

#3 in the Overthrown mini-series

(Song above was the inspiration for Seto's character, originally, though he's had some tweaking.)

Part-Fey in power often worried the Dark Elves, who were arcane magic-users hidden from human eyes.

However, as Seto was coming to realize, Jason didn't appear to pose any kind of threat. He was too busy with his books to take advantage of his magic. Whenever he did use spells, it was for trivial things. The elixir he had at home was a buff for memory, and the bed he summoned to read upon was just that: a bed.

Hesitantly, he lifted his head above the grass. watching more acutely as a third shape joined the other two. Casting a minor spell to improve his hearing and sight, he found himself listening in. The wind on the hill was deafening, but he managed anyways.

"You said we would meet here alone," the third figure snapped. Seto recognized him as Adam Dahlberg, a bartender who was quite popular. Under a heavy cloak, Seto had visited him before, when he needed information. News was cheap with Adam - an enchanted gold coin that bought a days worth of business prosperity would buy the past month's visitor list.

"At the time, I did think we would be alone," the assassin replied cooly. He was very obviously an assassin, specially of the League of the Crushed. His tattoo gave him away. Did he have no subtly? Or did he simply not care?

Jason appeared to not even notice the newcomer. It wasn't until the assassin shook his arm that he looked up, making a pleased noise.

"Oh! I know you!" Inhumanly blue eyes lit up. "You own the bar that serves Inni wine. You're the only one who does. That's why I always go. You know, it comes from an island far away... You can almost taste the breeze."

The bartender eyed him. "Yes... I do recognize you. You always come in with a spellbook. I don't know if you can use it or not, but it scares my patrons. I would appreciate you not bringing it next time, or I may report you to the King for being a witch."

"Please refrain from making promises like that." The assassin eyed Adam. "I brought you here because I believe you to be a traitor. Him, too."

"Oh, I don't care one way or the other." Jason waved his hand, and for a moment, Seto wanted to scorn him. The Dark Elves resented the King, but that could be because they resented any who wasn't their kind. Seto was often referred to as different, because he willingly took on assignments that would bring him close to other races. Even still, he knew the King was a tyrant.

"But if I give you the right books, you'll tell us what we want to hear... Correct?" The assassin arched an eyebrow, and Jason nodded enthusiastically.

"Yes! Anything for a good book. Speaking of..." His nose immediately buried into the book.

Seto had another urge, this time to slap him.

Or smite him.

Either would be equally amusing.

Jason suddenly looked up. The other two, who had been about to speak, halted. "We aren't alone," Jason reported, looking around. Seto felt himself tense.

"That would seem to be a problem," the assassin murmured, red eyes flickering up to the hills bordering the wharf. Seto held himself as still as possible, knowing his skin would reveal him otherwise. It was a common misconception that Dark Elves always had an ashy tone to their skin. He was unnaturally pale.

"There," Adam called. Seto expected the man to point towards him, but instead, he swiveled, locking on to a shape on the docks.

Another assassin.

A gold pendant - were those slave tags? - swung around the newcomer's neck. He was swathed in a black cloak, fringed by the infamous blood red shade of Fire Hearts. Golden eyes flashed as the assassin reared up to his full height, balanced on the high wall of the marina. "Evenin', lads!"

Red-Eyes' eyebrows furrowed. "Hughes," he hissed. The newcomer grinned wildly.

"Ellis! I didn't expect you to be here!" Hughes elegantly stepped off the edge, landing gently in a crouch.

"What are you doing here?" Ellis snapped. Seto watched with interest as his hand fell to a pistol at his side. Hughes didn't flinch.

"Visiting a friend. What're you doing here?" His eyes were playful. Seto desperately wished he could meet this insane man.

"Nothing that concerns you."

Hughes peered at the group. "You're an assassin, he's a bartender, and he has a magic bed. I do believe this concerns me, considering the wharf is my area of patrol." In a quick movement, he drew his pistol, aiming directly at Ellis' forehead. Ellis was just as quick, his own gun raised in an instant.

"You don't want to kill me."

"Of course I want to kill you. You fight against everything I stand for."

"Whoa, whoa." Adam stepped between the two of them. Seto silently admired him. Stepping between two pissed-off, trigger-happy assassins was like moving between a bull and a leopard. "Let's not fight. There aught to be an agreement here."

"What agreement?" Ellis growled. "He's a loyalist."

"And you're a traitor with a bounty," Hughes said happily.

Adam tensed. Seto could see it from where he lay. "Come on," he hissed. "No death tonight. Jason, help me."

The halfblood looked up from his book. "With what? You appear to have it handled."

"One of them will shoot," the bartender shot back. "They will kill me."

"Ooh! I haven't had a chance to study bullet wounds in quite some time!" Jason's eyes lit up. Growling, Adam turned to look between the two assassins.

"Are you both stupid? No matter how this turns out--"

"Mitch?"

Hughes dropped his gun, staring over Adam's shoulder at a tall figure in the shadows of the bunks.

Ellis lunged, tilting so he could get a clear shot. His finger rested on the trigger, and Seto could hear the gunshot already.

Bang!

Adam had knocked into his arm, so the shot went wild. Water splashed in the bay as a bullet struck the surface. Seething, the rebel assassin tried to reload, but Adam quickly disarmed him. "We need to move. Someone will find us. Hughes, you too. Bring your friend." With that, he grabbed Ellis' wrist and yanked him towards the hill. On the way, Ellis yanked Jason's book from his hands, causing him to trail them like a puppy.

They're heading right for me. Seto scrambled to his feet. He heard a shout from someone and knew he had been spotted. Uncaring, he turned and ran.

The last, full image he got was of Hughes hurrying after them, hand tightly intertwined with the shadow of his friend's.

---

Unedited, so forgive me.

Whoo, drama.

Kinda want to redux this as an original after I'm done with it.