The Maker (Adam X Brayden)

Yes, this is a crack ship.

No, I don't care.

···

Footsteps clicked down the Seattle flat. Tired, scared eyes glanced out the window, pausing to take in the cityscape.

He could hear the tinkling of a fork on a china plate. Adam was already up.

Stifling the sigh that rose in his throat, he walked out into the main room. Cream carpet and snow-white furniture with cast-iron shelving brought the whole room together, projecting the modern feel. Adam was lounged on a low-backed couch, a plate of pancakes in hand. He seemed like he heard Brayden come in, but he didn't make a note of it.

"Morning."

"Good morning," Adam replied, not looking up. Brayden had started over towards the kitchen, looking to see if maybe there was more food leftover, but he hesitated. Where was the pet name? Adam had continuously called him "kitty" for the past month or so, each morning before he left to work. The name itself had started because of the one time he had leaned into the touch when Adam tucked his hair back into place.

Simple, calm gestures...

"When do you leave?" The ring on his finger suddenly felt very heavy.

"Brice wants me there by noon... I won't come home until late." Adam's voice was still calm. For once, Brayden didn't pick up any sort of emotion.

"Okay... Are you just setting up the Arena?"

"Yeah... The Games are always the hardest to prepare for. Taylor has a few tricks up his sleeve, new ideas for mutants and such. Jordan seems to be fascinated with fire. Jin is trying to sort out who goes with what weapon... Player stats, player stats, player stats." Green eyes slid up to meet Brayden's for just a second. "Any requests?"

"I work best with just a sword," he murmured, finding no more scraps in the kitchen. He walked back around the counter to find his way to the living room. Silence fell on the both of them.

Tink... Tink.

"How do I know you stay loyal to me?"

Adam seemed oddly unfazed by the question. Without real thought, he finished chewing and swallowed easily. "You trust me."

"And what happens when I don't trust you anymore?" Brayden shifted his weight.

"You break up with me," Adam answered, again strangely calm.

"But... I..."

"It makes sense." He coolly looked up at Brayden again. "Doesn't it? Our entire relationship is based on trust."

"Okay."

That was not the answer Adam expected to get. He looked away, back to his food. "You're only under my protection if you're 'with me.' We'll just say we've decided to have a polyamorous relationship or something, so you can date around." With a small motion, he slid the wedding ring off his finger, and dropped it on the coffee table.

"What about you?" Brayden asked, keeping the hurt out of his voice. He knew this was better, but it didn't mean there was no pain.

Adam sighed. "I've had my eyes on someone for a while. He's happily married though. I doubt he remembers what we used to have, anymore."

"Mitch," Brayden breathed. "But I thought that was just a one night stand?"

"For him it was. For me, it was not. Perhaps he thinks I don't remember him."

"Oh..."

Adam took the last bite, Brayden watching him evenly. Slowly, he stood and brushed by his now ex-husband, setting his plate in the sink. Brayden turned to keep his eye.

"Some things just aren't meant to be, you know."

"I know."

I suppose this is what I get, Brayden thought sullenly, for marrying a Maker.

···

How to break Rosie in one easy step.