The Quest's End (SkyDoesMinecraft)

Panting, he finally fell to his knees before the alter. It had taken years. He had fought for so long to find this. It was his life. From the time he was little, he heard stories, passed down from the greats, of a mythical book. It was the ultimate honor to search for it, let alone find it. It held unknown powers.

Only the bravest men dared look for it.

Slowly, fingers trembling, he reached for his leather knapsack. Untying the strings with practiced fingers, he grabbed the items from inside.

The feather of the mighty Phoenix of Kzec.

A vial of blood from the mythical Unicorn of Snig.

Fabric woven by the Wizard of Shakel.

A tongue of the Cerberus of Qual.

And most importantly, hair from the inductor of the ritual.

Shakily, he laid each item out, resting on the alter, then poured the blood over top. His heart thudding in his chest, he stumbled back, tripping over his own feet. Focusing on memorizing the words, he fell to his knees and shut his eyes. His hands clasped together in a prayer-like form, back arched.

"Nisi hoc facinore, iuvene. Non hoc graviter. Deceptiones sunt ante."

He felt the ground under him lurch. With a cry, he fell to the side, immediately trying to pick himself back up. He couldn't mess this up. This needed to be perfect, flawless.

He had to get this book.

In those moments, his mind started wandering to what could happen. He could be powerful. He could bring honor to his family, to his kingdom. He could meet the King, perhaps even take his throne...

It wasn't that he wanted power, it was just that it seemed so... Glorious.

Smoke filtered into the room, making him cough. It brought him back to reality. Regaining his balance fully, he looked up.

There was a book resting on the alter, the pages open.

Still wheezing, he crawled up to the base, cautiously rising to his feet. His stomach twisting, he looked down on the page.

One word was glaringly obvious, written all across the page.

'because'