The Faintest Idea (The Pack)

A reminder of how delicately entangled we all are...

····

"Mitch... There's been a change of plans. We're staying right here in Barbados."

····

When he was nine, Mitchell Hughes was supposed to move to New Jersey. However, his parents changed their minds, and ended up staying in Barbados. As he grew up, he was constantly picked on for the littlest things, often for stupid ideas like the fact he was more mature than most people his age. Mitch's depression started to get the best of him, so he reached out to YouTube. He never actually recorded anything, but he did come across a YouTuber he liked the style of, a COD gamer with a foul tongue and cruel mind. His name was Jerome, and Mitch would tend to watch him on a day to day basis.

However, eventually Jerome stopped posting videos. Checking family member's various social media, Mitch discovered that Jerome had taken his own life, stuck in the rut of depression. He had put on a brave face for his fans, trying to make other people happy when he couldn't.

Instead of slipping back into the darkness, Mitch started his own channel, which focused more around a newer game called Minecraft. He carried on like this until 2015, even after he'd moved out of his parents house and into a smaller condo on the edge of the island.

····

"Lachlan, I'm sorry. We just can't afford the tickets."

····

Lachlan was an Australian boy with a Barbadian "celeb crush". Maybe he didn't realize it at the time, but this BajanCanadian character was more important to him than he could comprehend. His jokes were often reflected on in Lachlan's own channel, a small gaming bit with a couple hundred subs. Nothing terribly big.

PAX was coming up, and for his birthday, his parents had offered to take him. But life was an unforgiving mistress, and he and his family ended up with a poor stroke of luck when his father lost his job. Lachlan quit his channel in search of a job for himself, so he could move out and leave his parents once and for all.

What he didn't know is that he broke a young British boy's heart in doing so.

Vikk had been an avid fan, relying on the fact that the next morning there would be a new video up. CraftBattleDuty was his reason to live. Now that Lachlan had fallen...

He had, too.

····

"Brandon, you can't spend so much time on YouTube. It's not healthy. You need to spend more time studying and less time playing games!"

····

Brandon's grades were slipping.

Sure, maybe they hadn't been the most perfect beforehand (high school wasn't exactly pre-k), but they were decent. Now, his highest was a 71% C in Debate, which was a class you had to try to fail.

His father blamed it on the new video game craze, Minecraft, and tried to keep him away from it and YouTube. He failed on the latter, but refusing to let Brandon use his credit card online ensured that his son couldn't play for more than a few hours on the monstrosity of a game.

Brandon took to watching a COD/Minecraft based channel, who's owner went by Mat, a student studying "how things worked". There were times, in deeper, darker posts that had a more serious tone, where Mat described his younger life, and how he wanted it back. If he did, maybe things would be different.

One video was posted to the channel that sent Brandon into a craze. Mat talked for more than an hour about dreams he'd been having, specifically the ones where he dreamed about a man who killed himself a couple years ago. Brandon had started to theorize an alternate universe, and, years later, when he tried to explain his theories, was deemed insane and locked in a mental asylum.

····

"Preston, you can't record. You know how dangerous it is!"

····

Preston's parents were obsessed with the idea that seventeen-year-old Jerome Aceti didn't commit suicide, but was instead murdered. Preston, of course, never believed it.

So whenever he tried to make a YouTube channel behind his parents back, somehow, someway, they would find out, and ground him. They had become terrified at the idea of YouTube, and Preston was fed up with it. Even when he was over eighteen, and therefore allowed to do his own thing, his parents were wary. Eventually, he gave up, and just watched YouTube, instead of participating in it.

He quickly became a fan of Mr. Woofless, a happy-go-lucky Minecrafter with a bipolar personality. Preston joined the fandom in full stride, writing fan fiction and finding a skill with writing. He ended up just tweaking one of his stories enough so he had completely original characters, and it was published. Having success with that, he kept writing, becoming quite the famous author. Years later, he did eventually get to meet Rob, the mind behind Mr. Woofless, and they became pretty good friends.

I hear their still in touch.

····

Preston is one of us! One of us!

Brandon breaks the fourth wall because why the hell not?

This was actually going to be a full on story, then I realized I already have too many of those... So here's the one-shot.

Also, if some of these seem a little far-fetched, take into consideration that all four of the main characters mentioned (Mitch, Lachlan, Brandon, and Preston) have something that comes from myself. I'll let you guys guess what it is XP

Anyways, see ya next chapter?

Baiii