Dogs Understand (Merome)

"What am I going to do? It's not like he'll ever notice me."

Cocoa whined, kicking her paw and battering my arm.

"I know. I'm a lovestruck fan."

I could still remember when I was top of the social food-chain. It was only a year ago.

But at the start of school this go-around, I started to watch YouTube, specifically Minecraft videos.

One YouTuber caught my eye, and at first, he seemed pretty simple. But once you started to watch his recordings extensively, like I had, he turned into a completely different person.

With a deep sigh, I pushed myself up, flinching at the sudden headrush. Cocoa stretched, her jaws parted in a yawn.

"I'm not that heavy," I mumble, standing and grabbing my head. There were at least seventeen glasses in my room. You'd think I'd get off my lazy ass and get some water, but I never really did. I only left my room for school and to eat, which was really the only time I ever drank anything.

I settle down in an office chair, scrolling through Twitter and Facebook. Cocoa jumped down from the bed, and, at first, she sat attentively, listening to the electronic music I'd put on. Eventually, though, she did what she usually did, laying down across my feet.

Very few posts actually related to me, but there were a couple I couldn't ignore. One I ended up retweeting, as it was talking about having an addiction to the internet.

"Jerome! Walk Cocoa, would you?"

My mother's call echoed up the stairs. Biting my lip, I shut off my moniter and rush downstairs. I had been one click away from a new Vlog, but my mom had always had terrible timing. I just knew not to complain.

I leashed up Cocoa, leading her outside. She walked well enough, which I was lucky for.

Deciding to take my usual route, I started towards town. There and back was usually enough for Cocoa, despite her being a German Shepard. She was my dog, pretty much meaning she was out of shape and lazy.

I kept my head down out of habit, not realizing I was walking directly down the middle of the sidewalk until I brushed against someone.

"Watch it!"

Unable to believe what I was hearing, I looked up.

He wasn't much taller than I was, his hazel eyes glaring. His hoodie, the one I'd recognize anywhere, was hung loosely over his frame.

"S-Sorry," I mumble. Cocoa growls at him, and I twitch her leash. She cuts out, but he still snaps at me.

"And keep your dog under control. I've had a long day, and I'd rather not run into punks like you."

"I didn't realize you'd be such a dick in real life," I shoot back, and his eyes widen as he realizes I'm a fan. "I really did look up to you."

With that, I walk away, leaving Mitch dumbfounded.

I tightened my grip on the leash, looping it around my hand and heading home. Cocoa stayed by my side, because even though people don't, dogs understand.

····

I can't even anymore.

I swear, this was supposed to turn out happy.

Then depression said no, and it turned out like this.

Ah, well.

See ya next chapter?

Baiii!