Aim For the Head

#4 in the No Man Standing miniseries
(Finale)

Mitch wasn't looking good.

Jerome knew it, which is why he wasn't talking about it as he ate his fill and drank at the bar. Ty seemed to know it too, which would explain why he was sticking around so fiercely. Twice someone had tried to call him away - each time he had gone and hissed at them in hushed whispers, then returned to Jerome.

Marley had already retreated to a wing where she was bunking with two other girls. Jerome was, to the best of his knowledge, bunking with Ty, and Mitch would join them when he got better. Every time he thought of it, he thought back to the days of Team Crafted, and almost laughed. It was sickeningly ironic.

"Another?" The tender asked, pointing to Jerome's empty glass of beer. He shrugged, sliding it across the bar to him and dropping another cigarette. He and Mitch had found plenty of them, but neither had lit up in fear of an addiction in the apocalypse. Now, they served as a form of currency to some people for that exact reason.

"They try to wean them off it," Ty had explained, "but desperation and relief weighs heavier than long-term health risks these days."

Jerome had just gotten his next glass in his hands when a tall woman with dark skin strode in, grabbing Ty's shoulder. He jolted up from where he was bent over Solitaire, glaring at her.

"What, Aspen?"

"Get your friend and let's go. You're both wanted by the main man."

"What for?" Ty pushed. Jerome stayed silent.

"You know why, I think," Aspen retorted, stepping back. After shooting Jerome a look, Ty got to his feet, reaching for his weapon. Aspen drew a knife.

"Leave it, little guard."

"Captain wouldn't exactly want me unarmed, would he?" Dark eyes studied the woman. Jerome stared and drew his own gun, setting it down on the bar stool next to him. Aspen nodded approvingly.

"Your friend has a good head on his shoulders, Tyler. I suggest you learn from him."

"He hasn't been here even a day."

"Christ. Let's go already." She reached and snatched at Ty's shirt collar. He already broke her grasp in a flash of motion, and the next thing Jerome was able to process was Aspen holding her arm, swearing heavily. Ty grabbed his gun and glanced back. His eyes said it all. Jerome snatched up his pistol and the two fled the bar. Somewhere in the flurry, he had the flashing realization that they were all very, very different from their YouTube days, and that they would never be the same.

---

Ace fully intended just to go to the infirmary to check on the case. He didn't want to get caught up in it. Perhaps his limited expertise could be of help, but the last thing he wanted was to have to deal with more patients, more heartbreak, more families. Unfortunately for him, Ye Olde Boss had other plans for him.

Mitchell Hughes was superstar in his past life. Ace's younger siblings had loved him, but this wasn't a fact Ace was particularly interested in. After all, his younger siblings were dead - one devoured, one turned and shot. They weren't his most pleasant memories. However, now that the man was on his deathbed, Ace did feel a few heartstrings pull. Deaths always did that to him, and it didn't help that the ex-YouTuber had once been attractive. Now his body was riddled with scars, face hollow, and eyes bloodshot whenever they were open.

The current theory was terrifying, but there was no real way it could have happened.

Keeping his head mostly hidden, Ace peered through the window at the guy. His wrists and ankles had been clamped down, his body restrained. Because of the current idea, the two that had brought him in and the one who excused him were being charged - or so he thought. When he heard Ty Ellis' voice, he jumped.

"Why does Boss want Jerome and I?"

"To be fair, it's not just you two," Ace mumbled, knowing it was the wrong thing to say. This point was only proven when he heard the safety click off a gun. "They're going after Marley."

"That's where I sent Jerome. Tell me, Doc, what's wrong with him?"

"They think he's Turning," Ace said, not having seen a reason to hide the truth.

"Yeah. That's what I was afraid of." In the reflection of the window, Ace saw a machine gun lower. He turned to look at Ty and found the face of a broken young man staring back. "Jerome won't live through this."

"He will," Ace rebutted. "He'll fight twice as hard every time he thinks of him."

"No. He'll want to be the one to put him out of his misery." Ty seemed to be looking anywhere but the soon to be corpse of an old friend. "I'll bet you. Twenty packs of cigs. Hundred bucks. Whatever you want."

"I have no doubt. Some friends are like that."

"Mine was." Ty's gaze met Ace's for a moment. "We met in Salt Lake. He was bit. He didn't tell me. I shot him right as he went to lunge."

"Adam," Ace supplied.

"Adam," Ty agreed.

"Where's Jerome? Killing him and figuring out how it happened will get you both off the hook."

"I told you. Getting Marley. He won't find her, though. She's already gone." Ty watched Ace. "I knew it. The way he walked... His life was ebbing. His heart rate..."

"It ain't gone. Just lowering. He isn't dead yet. In theory, there are ways--"

"No, there aren't ways. Not in time." Brown eyes darted down. "I'll find Jerome, or... Should I do it? If he's not dead..."

"Yeah, I know what you're saying." Ace stepped away. "Say goodbye."

With a final salute, Ace trotted off, heading down the stairs.

As he left, he heard the gunshot and a strangled scream, and somewhere, he knew it wasn't the one being shot.