65. Where Is It?

"Welcome home!" Screams shout out at me when I hobble with my cast thats around my foot and enter the house of the Malik's.

The surprise did indeed startle me, causing my body to jump back against someone.

"Careful." Zayn chuckles close behind me.

"Jesus," I whisper under my breath, taking in the banner with my name painted on it that slung over a wall and what seemed to look like ice cream cake on the coffee table. "Awe, guys, its only been about a week."

"A week, two days, and eighteen hours." Waliyha chuckles out, giving a soft shrug as if to brush it off. "But who's counting?"

"We all know who." Zayn says. And suddenly, all eyes were on mom. Including mine.

"So, who wants cake?" She quickly giggled, as if to prove her innocence by changing the subject.

"I'm sorry," I quickly say with a shake of my head. "I smell like the hospital, could I just-?"

"Oh, wait." Edward interrupted. I didn't notice his take of interest in the cake, I didn't notice that he had made his way over to the sweet dessert until he spoke up. His eyes had found my face. "I have a letter for you."

"From who?" I ask curiously. Did I do something illegal? No. Not that I could think of, anyway.

"From your parents." Edward pulled off one strap from around his shoulder, creating his backpack to come under his other arm with ease so he could unzip the bag. "Oh, well, the ones in Florida."

"What?" Really? They're finally reaching out? What's made them want to finally gain the decency to want to talk to me again?

"I saw them before coming out here," Edward says. He opened his bag and looked to have expected to find the letter just there, at the top. His hand started to dig around. "They've been wanting to reach out."

Silence engulfed the room as we all waited for Edward to present the letter, but as his eyebrows began to knit toward the middle, Zayn whispered that he wanted a piece of the cake and everyone was in motion again.

I walk slowly toward Edward and cup his elbow. "Come with me."

He freed his hands from his bag and let it fall back into place behind him. I guided him back outside, clumping around with each other step because of the black cast. When we stood just on the outside of the closed front door, Edward spoke first.

"I swear, it was right at the top." He sighs quietly, bringing his bag from his shoulders completely. He flipped it around, shaking out everything from the biggest pocket. But the only thing that came out was his clothes.

"I just.." I look toward the white painted wooden barrier that cut my family off from the both of us. "I just don't want things weird with them watching me read it."

"Oh. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you feel awkward." Edward quickly collects himself, his blue eyes finding mine.

"No, you didn't. They just don't like the thought of my parents in Florida. It gets a bit tense."

His eyes return to the bag that's nearly empty, his fingers unzipping more pockets before groaning quietly. "Maybe it's folded in one of my shirts or something."

"That's okay," I rest my hand on his shoulder and he straightens up at my touch. A soft smile graces my lips, my eyes dancing between the both of his as a sigh escapes me. "I really missed you."

It was different having him around me outside of the hospital. Almost like everything in my life was normal, like it was okay.

"I missed you, too, Marley."