68. Surprise

Its been a week since I got out of the hospital and I had learned that the large cast around my foot wasn't even necessary. All I really needed was crutches, to keep me off of the one foot that had the stitches. I knew who's fault it was that had made the cast on me appear.

Zayn.

He didn't even try to play it off as if he was innocent. In fact, for days, he's been so distracted and to himself. And when I would ask, he would display a smile, shrug, and look away.

So, for these said day, I've been observing him, and his actions hasn't just changed around me, but with the family and Edward as well. He also seems like he's forcing himself to talk to anyone that's around him.

Our conversations when it's just us, is longer than when he's around anyone else.

I don't like Zayn like this. I feel as if something's wrong, and he isn't letting me in to reassure my racing heart.

"Zayn?" I call for him from the couch in the living room, lifting my eyes from reading the middle of The Lovely Bones. I heard him clattering around in the kitchen and it caught my attention.

"Yes?" He calls back, his tone unbothered- uninterested, almost.

Edward looks up from his phone on the opposite side of the couch from me, looking at my face.

"What are you doing?" I ask.

"Reorganizing the silver wear." My brother answers.

I furrow my eyebrows at Edward and he lifts his shoulders in a shrug. I place my book down on the well-decorated coffee table and stand from my position, padding my way into the kitchen, only to be greeted by my brothers back, his hands busy with pulling the silver wear from the drawers and sorting them by size.

"I never knew you had OCD." I try to joke, but no sounds came from him except for the clinks of metal. I walk over to him and stand to his right, watching the side of his face that I can see. "What's wrong?"

He gave me a soft smile and shrugged, giving his head a slight shake before looking back down at his task. "Nothing, Marley."

"You're sorting utensils, Z. And they're all the same size." And it was true. Aside from the serving spoons, they were all the same sized set of forks, spoons, and knives.

"Marley." He sighed my name quietly, as if begging me to stop asking my constant question.

"Did I do something?"

"No, no," His eyes don't move away from his hands that insist on continuing to sort. "I'm upset with myself."

"Well, what did you do?"

"It's complicated."

"It can't be too-"

"It really is."

"You can tell me about it."

"I can't."

"You can, honest. I won't judge." I place my hand over his, but he pulls his hand back to continue working. "It can't be that bad, Zayn."

"It is," He grumbles sternly, pulling his hands away from the metal as if it now offended him, before he left me in the kitchen alone, with three tight words dangling in the air. "Fucking drop it."

"Hey, Zay-" Edward called but by the sound of it, my brother was in a rush to leave the house, slamming the front door behind him.

I look down at the mess on the counter bench and begin putting the silver wear back in their separate places inside the drawers, feeling a tad irritated myself.