44. Unexpected

Zayn had promised me a warm drink because of my break down, but after my shower, I felt so much better that I didn't need a comforting warm beverage. But I did watch as Zayn maneuvered around the kitchen, pulling out some tea ingredients. He had to rummage through the coffee cabinet to find the tea while he explained how Patricia and the family barely ever drink tea.

I made a joke that they're probably the wrong kind of British people.

I was offered a variety of warm drinks, decaf coffee included but I politely refused as he squirted honey into his mug.

They had something Zayn called 'Insta-coffee', where you only have to pour dried up bits of coffee into hot water and stir to enjoy the hot beverage without the machine.

We didn't speak much while he drank his tea, but I wasn't in a funk anymore. He even tried to joke with me, his jokes proving to be a bit terrible. However, he blamed it on the handsome Harry Styles. The one Zayn liked from this curly haired boy was the 'What did zero say to eight?'

"Nice belt!" He had exclaimed, throwing his head back in laughter at his own joke.

I had Skyped with Edward and Donnie while Zayn finished his drink, my brother even appeared in the camera to wish both the man and whale a good night. Donnie was getting better at eating after seeing me on a small screen and while I spoke with them, Martin was in his office working on the larger monitor to have a Skype call hooked up on it. It was having a bit of difficulty, but they were close to a success.

Nothing really exciting happened after Donnie ate. He done his tricks for rewards and finished two whole buckets before he stopped listening to commands. Edward and I shared a small conversation until I yawned into the back of my hand. It wasn't long after that when Edward wished me sweet dreams.

My hands covered my face as I let loose another yawn and Zayn rubbed my back, dismissing me to go upstairs and try to sleep.

We had parted ways about fifteen minutes ago, Zayn's presence taking up the long comfortable couch in the living room. I now lay in bed in the guest room, the covers pulled up to just under my arms with my already-dry-hair fanned out on the clean pillow case around my head.

I stare up toward the dark ceiling, not really seeing anything but trying to clear my mind enough to give in to what my body needs. My eyes slowly slipped closed just before my phone rang, piercing the silence and hurting my ears.

I yanked the device from the bed covers, the light hurting my eyes while I tried to answer the call without seeing the callers name.

"Hello?" I ask into the line, my voice slow and sleepy.

"Marley?" I hear a familiar voice ask me. I shot up into a sitting position, pushing back my hair from tickling my face.

"Mom?" I question in disbelief. I pulled the phone away from my face, the screen lighting up momentarily before I pressed it back to my ear. It was her number, the title 'Mom' in big bold letters were on the screen.

"Hi, sweety." I hear her begin to choke on a sob. "I miss you so much."

"I've been waiting for you or dad to call. Why now?" I couldn't help but to ask that question. Deep down, I admit that I missed the hell out of them and their not-so-nice ways. I missed home, I missed saying 'mom' and 'dad' out loud just to wait for a response. I missed their voices, I missed their arrogant ways, I missed how I needed to fight for their attention when all they really focused on was work. It's terrible, but I miss them.

"Oh, Marley," She sighs. "Of course we wanted to call you. But your father and I agreed that if you wanted to speak to us ever again, then it will be when you're ready. On your own time. So, we waited for your call instead of hounding you every waking hour."