14. Confessions

I sat up straight, staring at familiar faces. But they weren't so familiar in a way. I've never seen my parents so shaken up and caught off guard. I've never seen them so worried for the future and what it has to hold.

I've never seen them so unsure.

I didn't know if I should say something first, because I wanted to be a smart ass to them to get what I wanted, which was the confession of a life time. But, I was invited down here to have them tell me their side of the story, their say to all this mess that I have to deal with for the rest of my life. Not with only the fact that I'm adopted, but that my blood family is with Zayn Malik, the British singer in the worlds most famous boy band. No matter how much I grow used to it, I'll never hear the end of it.

So, I stayed silent until one of them had the courage to entice something first.

We waited in absolute agonizing quiet, them staring at me as if there is a possibility to see into my feelings and reactions to this, because I wasn't showing very much. And me staring into the eyes of these familiar strangers.

"Marley," Dad spoke up first, hesitant. He paused, looking lost for words which isn't his normal.

But that one word, my name.. Did I have another? If I did, do they know? I started to feel that strange heat of anger boiling up to my head until I felt a lump in my throat and tears stinging my eyes. Why did he stop talking? When he finally had the balls to say something, just one simple word, why did he stop? My heart raced as I finally formed words through clenched teeth.

"I'm adopted." I said simply, my jaw not loosening. It was to keep back the raw emotion.

"Yes, you are." He spoke again. For once, my mother was lost for words. "But, you're our baby, Marley."

"But I'm not, actually. Right?" I continued, spitting the words past my teeth.

"Can we tell you our side of this?" My mom quickly intercepted. "Then you can tell us how you're feeling, and we can work this issue out."

"Is this a family therapy, or something?" I questioned.

My whole life, they have been keeping this big secret from me and now that they have been caught, they wanna come clean? And it's not because its right, it's because I know the truth and guilt is eating away at them. I'm barely even adopted. They just took me in, no papers and no documents. Taking me in, it wasn't even rightfully legal.

"Just, let us explain." My dad soothed, holding up a hand to tell me to calm myself.

No, he isn't allowed to father me right now.

But, I stayed quiet. Looking towards them expectantly until, finally, mom spoke up.

"Your father and I was married at a young age, as you well know. We were high school sweet hearts and as soon as we got out of there, we were wedded, then started college. After a few years of that, we bunkered down in a cute home in Bradford, England. We tried for a baby, many times, and we weren't able. We didn't know which one of us, so we went to the doctors to run some tests. My body was the one that was dysfunctional, but we didn't want to give up on having a baby, so we searched for giving mothers. Maybe teenagers still in high school, or something, but we searched." She paused to take in a deep breath, eyes dropping to her hands that now lay rested in her lap. A small tear fell from her left eye and landed on her thumb.

"That's when we found her," My dad continued for my mom. "Her name is Patricia Malik. She had told her doctor that she wasn't planning on keeping you, so as a baby, you were openly suggested to us. We met up with Patricia quite a few times, normally after an ultrasound to see how you were doing."