34. Don't They Miss Me?

"Liam kept texting me." Zayn complains after putting his car keys up on the hook beside the front door, kicking his shoes off and hanging up his jacket.

"Is that bad, or something? Does he not text?" I ask.

"It's not bad, it's just he normally doesn't. He's being persistent. And it's what he texts me that gets to me." He walked into the kitchen, bringing a clear glass cup down from a cabinet and filling it up with water from the sink.

"What is he texting you for?" I ask, hanging my jacket over my arm after taking it off. I entered the kitchen and leaned against the wall beside the door frame.

"You." He answers after gulping down as much water as he could, dumping the remaining and rinsing out his cup. After placing it in the dish rack, he leaned with his hands against the sink. "Well, your number."

"What were you telling him?" I ask.

"That he can ask you for it himself." Zayn didn't turn to face me. "I don't see this ending good, Marley. It doesn't make sense. Liam isn't an ass."

"It doesn't make sense that he wants to be my friend?" I wonder.

"It doesn't make sense that he wants to be around you so badly."

"I'm trying not to let that sting." I mumble.

"I didn't mean it in a bad way, I swear it. It's just.... It's so soon. He's the cautious one with girls."

"I know, we just met and everything, but I don't see him-"

"I didn't mean 'so soon' with you two, I meant that-" His phone began buzzing on the counter. "Speak of the devil."

"You talk to your friend, tell him that our plans for this weekend are canceled. Say that I'm not feeling good or something. I didn't realize how much it would bother the peace." I smile reassuringly before turning away and walking up the stairs, my thin jacket still slung over my arm.

I made it to the top of the stair case, almost blind from lack of light, and went into my room in the dark before shining away the unknown with a flip of a switch.

I draped my jacket over the desk chair and sat down on the bed.

Tonight was successful. I mean, nothing bad was said and I bonded with my sisters and their father. Even our mother a little. It was different tonight, mellow and calm and completely unexpected. Even now if I think about meeting with Patricia again, along with the family, I can only imagine how things might turn around and bite us all in the ass.

I grew on my sisters, through the short amount of time, I love them as if I've known them my whole life. Sure it might be the fact that we're all related, but the feeling was still there. They all seemed interested when I brought up Edward, though. Gossip in family is something I've never truly experienced. Actually, a dinner with no electronics in anyone's hands was something I never had, and socializing while eating was a real eye opener to what I've been missing out on all these years.

My phone dinged from my jacket pocket and I immediately wondered if Zayn gave in and told Liam my number. The thought was erased when I see the name of who texted me.

From Edward: "Frances has imprisoned a innocent village by using her fire-y breath."

I couldn't help the smile that broke across my face. I laid back across my comfortable mattress, phone over my face as I typed him back. "Slay the dragon. Decapitate it, show no mercy!"

After pressing send, I rested my phone on my stomach, a stupid smirk that has yet to leave me face as I awaited his response.

My phone sounded with a 'ding'. "Tempting, but I have a better offer: Wouldn't an epic battle between Frances-Frankin-Stein and Zayn-zilla be more fun to sit and watch?"