16. Rooms

I decided to stay for as long as I could. I didn't want to go back to my parents just yet. I typed a quick text to both of them at once, to tell them I was okay. They didn't need to know the details of it all, though, so I kept my location out of it.

After everyone left the kitchen, Heather excused us all upstairs while she straightened up the living room. Out of the kindness my parents lacked of teaching me, I asked if she would like help, to which she quickly denied.

I sat with Alyssa and Grace on the floor in the twins room. We all played dolls with a doll house bigger than what I imagined. It was only really half a house but it was big enough for actual Barbie dolls.

These dolls actually looked a bit tortured. One had a really bad buzz cut, the other had no eye-paint so Riley colored a eyepatch over the socket with a permanent marker, and the one I now play with has half of its face melted in a noticeable droop.

"What happened to all your dollies?" I asked Grace as she laid her doll down in the master bedroom bed of the playhouse.

"Edward is terrible at watching Riley when mommy and I go shopping for the house." She simply stated.

I turned to see the two boys sitting on Riley's bed. Edward looked guilty, but Riley wore a smirk.

Grace held her hand out for my Barbie and I quickly gave it up. She lifted the dolls hands to its face and sat her down at the edge of the roof on the house.

"She's crying." Grace told everyone.

"Why?" I asked.

"Because we're playing reality." She scooted herself closer to me until she sat in the dip of my crossed legs.

"Oh, well, who does she represent?" I questioned.

"You."

"Uh," Edward quickly spoke up. "Grace thinks she has some freaky gift to know what others feel around her."

"But I do." Grace said solemnly. "Marley feels hurt."

"No, I don't." I scoffed quietly, trying to brush off the fact that a seven year old girl is knowing how I feel. I mean, she can't, right?

"Yes, you do. You feel hurt because you don't like liars. You want to cry but you cannot." Grace told me, turning her head to look up at me from my lap. "It's okay to cry."

"No, I know it is. I just... I guess reality hasn't actually caught up to me yet."

Three soft knocks came on the door of the bedroom and we all looked to see Heather smiling sheepishly at us.

"Bed time for the babies."

We all said good night to the twins before leaving the room, getting out of the way so Heather can put them to bed. We walked farther down the hallway, to its end until Alyssa opened a door to our left and Edward opened a door to our right. I looked between the both of them quickly while they watched me and the other.

"Marley," Alyssa started. "Come hang out with me."

"No," Edward interjected. "She's my guest."

"Maybe she doesn't want a shag, ever thought about that?" Alyssa shot back.

"Maybe she doesn't wanna be hounded by questions, have you thought about that?" Edward said, irritated with flaming cheeks.

"Maybe she has questions for me." Alyssa said smugly.

"About what?" He questioned, folding his arms across his chest, his arm muscles prominent along with some veins.

"Her family." Alyssa said, grabbing my forearm and gently pulling me into what I expected was her room, but Edward's hand trapped my other arm.