76. Landon

(I updated the cast list, don't judge please!)

I sat on a sidewalk of a random busy street with my legs sprawled out in front of me, my breath labored from the running and my body felt extremely warm.

I leaned myself against the building behind me and shut my eyes. I felt like every car is Zayn, and he'll drag me back to the truth of my family's lie.

I couldn't believe it. I didn't want to. But I had to.

With my eyes still closed, I lifted my hand to my shorts pocket and pulled out the letter I found in Zayn's room. I straightened out the paper and sighed, my eyelids sliding open to peer down at the words again.

'Dear Marley.
Firstly, your father and I miss you like mad, my dear. No matter how much we want you back, we also want you to do what you think is right in this situation. We know that we haven't been the best of parents, with odd ways of raising you, but it was all to keep you safe and loved, and selfishly- with us and oblivious to your birth mom. Our love for you has been true from the very start, which is why we never needed the documents of your birth. You were ours from the moment we saw Patricia's ultrasound pictures for the first time. I know that none of this will make you come back to us, and that's not why I'm writing to you. I just want you to know that your father and I, we're very sorry. We don't want to live around lies anymore, and I know that you'll probably rolls your eyes right now, but it's true. We want a second chance, with you definitely but also as parenting. So, we've decided to adopt, and this time, we'll do it right. If we're to never have you back with us, I do hope that you'll visit. We love you. We will always love you. Take care of yourself, Marley.'

I fold the letter up again and closed my eyes, focusing on my breathing and the last time I talked to Emily. I shook my head as I recalled the sound of a child on her end, and thought it was company for Jackson and his grandmother.

Voices floated around me, and oddly enough, it comforted me in a way where I felt like the world hasn't ended, no matter how I feel like it has inside of me.

I let myself get lost in the noise and clatter of the streets, the lights barely illuminated much where I sat and I take in a deep breath of cool air.

And then someone tripped over one of my sprawled legs.

I opened my eyes and pulled my legs in quickly, eyeing the man who's phone skidded across the sidewalk and into the street, being crushed by a cars tire. The man had landed on all fours, watching his device and knowing he wouldn't have been fast enough.

"No, fuck!" The man yelled and I scurried to my feet, deciding to get lost in the crowd before he decides to get loud with me. I quickly turned away from him, my legs striding at a fast pace.

But I wasn't fast enough.

"Wait, wait." He says, catching my arm. I flinched away from the contact, ripping my arm from his grasp. "Are you okay?"

"What? Yeah, just fine. Why?" I responded.

"I don't know if I hurt you or not."

I take in a deep breath, ready to be smart with him so he could piss off, but as I finally lifted my head to see him properly, his familiar face and piercing eyes halted my word flow.

"You didn't." I answer dead pan.

"Don't I know you?" I watched as his eyebrows pulled toward the middle, his eyes trailing over my face.

"Not really. Aren't you the guy with the stained glass window?"

"Oh, yeah- you're the girl who took an interest in it."