78. Memories

The night felt long, and the drive; even longer.

After Edward had moved away from me after the kiss, he told me that he would give me time to think over all that's happened. When I returned to Liam's car a short few moments later, I noticed that everyone's focus was on the scene I had just left.

But I didn't say a word to anyone, and instead slid into the back seat. I had turned my body away from everyone on the sidewalk and heard Edward speak. Not long after, Liam and Landon discussed directions to the man's house and the car was in motion.

I had sat in silence the entire ride, which felt slow and nearly unmoving as my mind raced miles upon miles a minute. It felt like hours before the car finally came to a stop in front of a familiar house in a familiar neighbourhood.

I couldn't help my slow actions, and I was appreciative that Liam and Landon were patient with me as I slothed behind them.

As soon as I entered through the front door, I recognized the paint color of the walls. It was an odd color to paint but when I suggested it many years before, Jason and Emily fell in love with it just as I had. The living room, kitchen, and hall was a light periwinkle color. I remembered how Emily explained it as "light, but not white".

"You kept the color." I say softly as my eyes scan around.

"I always liked it. Besides, I remember how hard it was to paint. You kept telling your father and I that if it wasn't perfect, then we were fired. Memories." He turned himself toward me, his facial expression bland. "Do you remember that?"

"No." I simply answered. I moved myself to the living room and was surpised to see that it was completely clean. The whole house was clean, neat.

"Is there anything that's coming back to you?" Landon asks softly from the entry way of the living room and I turned to face him with a slight nod, standing in the middle of the room.

"Kind of," I say. "Mainly the color of the walls and the way the house was built, but nothing much more."

I see Liam standing awkwardly near the front door, his eyes scanning as if he were expecting to find something if he looked hard enough from his spot.

"Do you remember where your old room was?" Landon asks, motioning toward the hallway that lead farther into his home.

"Yeah, I'm sure." I say hesitantly and Landon disappeared down the hall and into a bedroom all the way at the end, and I begin to follow.

But Liam quickly caught my wrist and stepped closer to me, his head shaking as his eyes never leave where Landon disappeared.

"I don't like that he's trying to get you to go into a bedroom, Marley. I can rent a hotel suite, we don't have to be here." Liam says, his mouth close to my ear to speak in hushed whispers.

"Liam, I trust him." I say, my voice louder than his. "He's my uncle."

"He claims to be."

"He's the only one that makes sense with all the loose ends I've been dealing with." I pull free from his grasp, too tired to argue with him as well.

Just then, Landon peeks around the door frame, his eyes landing on me before his eyebrows pull toward the middle.

"Is everything alright?" He asks.

"Yeah, Liam just wanted to compliment the color." I answer before looking up at my brothers best friend. "If you're worried, then don't leave my side. Come look with me."

I didn't need to say more because as I took a step down the hall, Liam reacted and followed me instantly.

"The deeper we go, the farther we are from our escape." Liam quietly warns. "And it'd be harder for people to hear our screams."