46. English Rose

I felt small movements on the blanket that covered me. I lay on my back, my head sunk comfortably in the middle of the pillow I used. I pulled in deep breaths through my nose before peeking my eyes open, only to see soft grey eyes just six inches above me.

The sudden weird feeling of being watched while I slept had jolted my inner self awake, making my eyes become wide as I sat up.

"Good morning," Safaa giggles, scooting away from me as I reached my hands up to rub at my face. "You talk a lot in your sleep. I thought you were awake."

"Do I really?" I ask, not completely invested in this conversation when just being woken up. I look at the couch beside me. "Where's Zayn?"

"Everyone is awake already. He woke up about twenty minutes before you." Safaa answers, her small fingers fiddling with a small loose strand of fabric from the covers I slept with.

A very alluring smell was seeping its way from the kitchen and resonated within the house, causing my stomach to grumble uncomfortably.

"Sounds like someone is hungry! Come, mum made her secret pancakes." Safaa stood quickly and grabbed my hand, towing me up from the ground and toward the doorway of the kitchen. As we entered, everyone looked our way.

I flew one of my hands up to my mouth, placing my four fingers to cover my lips. I really didn't like speaking too much before I brush my teeth, it felt weird and, to me, I'd prefer everyone else to brush their teeth before talking to me. I hate morning breath, I feel like it shouldn't even be a thing.

"Good morning, Marley." Patricia was the first to say, her soft smile was warm and inviting as she placed more flat pancakes on a plate, the aroma deliciously intoxicating as the steam rose up from the stacks.

Safaa left my side and sat next to Zayn. They were now both propped up on the counter bench, Waliyha and Yaser were both leaning against the island in the middle of the kitchen while Doniya stood next to Patricia, helping in any way her mom asks.

"Good morning, Patricia." I said with a soft nod.

"Did you sleep well?" She asks, unknowingly stopping Zayn from speaking up. Everyone around me glanced her way, confusion and caution in their eyes.

"Yeah, thank you." I answered, looking to my brother and mimicking the motions of brushing my teeth; silently asking him if I could do just that.

He nodded and quickly jumped down from the counter, coming over to me and escorting me toward the bathroom I had shower in last night. In silence, he popped open a new toothbrush and held it out for me to take, the see-through-red of the medium bristled brush was taken into my hand and I maneuvered around Zayn to get to the sink and squirt white toothpaste onto my toothbrush, beginning to brush my teeth.

"So," Zayn started. I looked up into the mirror in front of me, watching his reflection behind me. "You and mum seem to have hit it off pretty well. How'd that happen?"

Zayn leaned against the wall, watching me foam up my mouth with bubbles as I brushed my teeth. I only looked at him, not being able to respond.

I continued the motion until I felt satisfied with how clean my mouth is. My gums were a bit tender from the new toothbrush, but it made my mouth feel more thoroughly clean. I washed the bubbles from in and around my lips before using my shirt to wipe the water from around my mouth.

I turn to Zayn as soon as I was finished and sighed. "Last night, I couldn't sleep so I decided I wanted a warm drink. I wanted to try out that Insta-Coffee you mentioned earlier and Patricia couldn't sleep either. So we talked a bit, but knowing the two of us, it didn't last long before things stopped being so 'okay'."