9. Baby Photo's

After Edward gave me his pity on just joking with the adopted thing that seems to be circling around me so profoundly now, he was called in to help with the birth of the seal pup. He asked if I wanted to see the miracle of birth, sarcastically, but I took up the offer. It's just an excuse to see a cute little animal.

When we got around to Martha's now closed off 'home', she was already panting heavily with doc and Martin next to her. So that's where Martin was all day.

Edward pushed the unlocked gate aside and we rushed in, heading over to the birthing animal. She looked exhausted already, laying on her side with her flipper resting over her baby bulge. Martin was squatted over Martha, something rectangular in his pocket stick out against his jeans.

"What do you need me to do, boss?" Edward asked straight away, crouching over Martha instantly which caused her to stir a little.

"Just keep her calm." Martin said. "I'm helping with doc."

Edward gently started to stroke his fingers against the side of Martha's baby bump, whispering comforting words to her.

"Marley!" Martin exclaimed. "Thank goodness! Take some pictures of this for me?"

"Oh, okay." I said, walking over and holding my hand out while he dug in his pocket for a digital camera.

I stepped away after setting up the camera and snapped a couple of shots with the men around the seal. Before any of us knew it, she started pushing. I snapped another picture of of Martin and doc looking intently at the opening of where the pup will be coming out, ready to help her like she was a human and they were trained to birth babies. I snapped another picture of doc reaching and grasping the baby's head, caressing as he helped get it out. Martin held his hands under the baby, just in case doc messed up, the pup would have soft hands to fall on.

I snapped more pictures of a tired, yet curious Martha, stretching her head to peek at her baby while doc and Martin checked it to see the gender and the health.

The first baby photos are always the most precious. I always loved seeing babies the day of their birth. It's so cute. I looked through the pictures and smiled absentmindedly, slowly flicking through all of them until it went to a picture of a performance last week.

"Got any good ones?" Edward's voice asked, right behind my left shoulder.

I lifted the camera while nodding and flicked back through the photos to show him. He groaned quietly.

"You got my bad side." He accused.

"Oh, shut up. It's not your day, it's Martha's." I chuckled, rolling my eyes.

"Baby pictures are always cute." Edward said.

"I think so, too. I have to ask my mom if I could see mine."

"You've never seen your baby photos before?"

"I've seen some of when I was a baby. Just not when I was born."

A loud distant hissing sound was heard but I knew it was the cheering of the performance starting.

"Looks like the show started." Edward stated.

"Can we go?" I asked, a devious smirk forming on my lips.

"Just so you can make trouble to Frances? Tempting, but no."

My shoulders slumped forward and I handed Martin back his camera, watching as he flipped through them with a smile on his face.

"Edward, she got your bad side." Martin pointed out.

"That's what I said!" Edward exclaimed playfully.

I shrugged, then cleared my throat. "Boss, Edward and I have something we wanna tell you."