New Life

It was a cool, rainy night in the Pride Lands. Wild herds stood ignoring the wet weather eating on tall green grass. Nearby lives a large popular lion pride. "Pride Rock" is the name. Its what we call home of the great Kings and Queens from the past. The lions now are sleeping inside their warm cave.

In the far back of the cave sleeps the royal couple, King Ahadi and a pregnant Queen Uru. It's been 110 days since she became pregnant and is now time for her to give birth. Rafiki, a wise baboon warned her and Ahadi both earlier that the Cubs will come sometime tonight.

Of course he was right.

Uru tossed back and forth on her side. Her stomach is full of pain. She snap open her red eyes and groaned. Her loud groans woke up Ahadi. He sat up full alarmed.

"My love, are you alright?" Ahadi asked.

Uru shook her head. "No. I think the cubs are coming!"

"I'll send Zuzu to go get Rafiki!"

"Hurry!"

Ahadi head bud his mate before leaving out the cave. Uru smiled with excitement. She'll finally meet her cubs in just a few minutes. But at the same time she's also scared. This is her VERY first birth. The whole pride is now up. Amina, Ahadi's mother stood beside Uru for support.

"I see my grandchildren have finally made their decision to come." She said, smiling.

Uru nodded and turn to a position to give birth. "Yeah. Ahadi better get back fast, these cubs are about to pop out!"

"He will Uru. In the meantime, I'll be right here with you. Go ahead and start pushing!"

"Okay."

Uru close her eyes squeezing them tight as she started to push. Amina had the pride members to exit out the cave for privacy purposes. A baby lion's loud cry filled in the cave. Amina eyes grew wide with excitement.

"You have one, keep pushing Uru. Your doing so good sweetie!" Amina cheered.

Uru pushed the hardest she could. Two more loud cries filled the cave now.

"M-My babies..." Uru said, tiredly.

Amina picked up the three whining Cubs and place them carefully next to Uru's side. They're suckling on milk. Uru looked down at her Cubs with a big smile.

"I'm a mother of three?!" She said, shocked.

Amina sat down. "Yup, three beautiful Cubs."

The sound of walking foot steps came from the entrance of the cave. It's Ahadi back with Zuzu on his shoulder and Rafiki beside him. Rafiki is carrying his normal stick in hand.

"Ah, I see Queen Uru has already given birth!" Rafiki spoke, smiling.

Rafiki bowed down before walking up close to the gorgeous Queen. He spot three little furry Cubs drinking milk on her side. Ahadi took a seat next to his mother Amina.

"What are the genders?" Asked Ahadi.

Rafiki picked each cub gently up one by one then lay them back down next to their mother. "Two boys, one girl."

Uru look down at the Cubs worried then shift her eyes to Ahadi. "Which one will be the next leader?"

Amina looked at Rafiki. "Only time will tell, right Rafiki?"

He nodded. "Correct Amina!"

Ahadi stood up pacing back and forth. "Two boys and a girl huh? The girl wouldn't mind not being a leader. But for the boys, one of them has to be. I want a son to rule after me!"

"Ahadi, you heard Rafiki. Only time will tell!" Said Zuzu, the majordomo.

Amina nodded, "Relax son, you and Uru have plenty of time to decide who will take the throne. Let the Cubs grow first!"

Ahadi stopped pacing back and forth. He stood in front of Uru staring down at the three little newborn Cubs, who are now fast asleep with their bellies full from milk. He closed his green eyes then open them letting out a sigh.

"Alright."

Uru giggled licking his cheek. Ahadi rolled his eyes playfully while Zuzu, Rafiki, and Amina smiled.

"So, what are you two love birds going to name them?" Rafiki asked.

"For the girl, I was thinking Athena." Said Uru.

Zuzu flew off Ahadi's shoulder and sat on Uru's. She smiled down at the biggest cub with the light golden pelt. "What about him?"

"Let's leave him for Ahadi to name, since he takes after his father's fur color!"

Ahadi stared down at the cub thinking of a quick name. "Ummm, what about Muffy?"

"I like Mufasa." Smiled Amina.

"Mufasa it is!"

Uru chuckled. "I like both! Muffy can be his nickname."

Rafiki point down at the middle cub. He's a bit smaller than his sister Athena and brother Mufasa. It should be the opposite. He should switch sizes with his sister, since she is the youngest. "Still have one more to name."

Zuzu lift a eye brow at the cub. "Why is he so small?"

Uru shrug, "I don't know. He's the second oldest. His sister should be since she's the youngest!"

"It's okay, he'll grow." Said Amina.

Ahadi laid down close beside Uru. "I hope so. I won't have a runt as a King!"

Zuzu rolled her eyes. Here he goes again with this king stuff!

Rafiki stared down at the cub. "Let's call him, Taka."

Uru smiled and lick Taka's small head. "Taka? I love it."

"All three Cubs seem to be healthy. Although Taka is the smallest, he'll eventually grow big joining his two siblings. Just keep feeding him milk!"

Uru and Ahadi nodded.

Zuzu flew off to the cave's exit. "Should I invite the pride in?"

"I think Uru should get some rest. During the presentation, they can meet the Cubs in the morning!" Said Amina, who laid down with a yawn.

Zuzu nod and left out the cave returning to her nest. Rafiki told the royal family goodnight and left also going back to his tree.

A new circle of life has just begun...