Hope

Scar

More years later...

"Nobody knows the trouble I've seen. Nobody knows my sorrow..." Zazu sings.

"Oh Zazu, do lighten up." I say, tossing a bone at the hornbill. It clatters against the cage. "Sing something with a little... bounce in it."

"It's a small world after all..."

"No! No. Anything but that!"

Zazu thinks then holds up a feather as a tune comes to him. "I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts diddely-dee-dee. There they are standing in a row..."

I enjoy the song and start to join in.

"Big ones, small ones, some as big as your head..."

"Oh... I would never have had to do this for Mufasa." Zazu says to himself.

I grew close, quick, and angry. "What? What did you say?"

"Oh, nothing!"

"You know the law. Never, ever mention THAT name in my presence. I... am... the KING!"

I shove my muzzle between the ribs of Zazu's cage on the last sentence. My breath blows Zazu up against the cave wall.

"Yes, sire. You ARE the king. I... I... Well, I only mentioned it to illustrate the differences in your royal managerial approaches." He nervously laughs.

"Hey Boss!"

Banzai walk in the cave with Shenzi and Ed both at his sides.

"Oh, what is it this time?" I ask annoyed.

"We got a bone to pick with you."

Shenzi look at Banzai. "I'll handle this." She then turn meeting her eyes with my green ones. "Scar, there's no food, no water..."

Banzai nods."Ha Yeah, it's dinner time, and we ain't got no stinkin' entrees."

I roll my eyes. "It's the lionesses' job to do the hunting..."

"Yeah, but they won't go hunt."

"Oh... eat Zazu."

Zazu shook his head. "Oh, you wouldn't want me! I'd be so tough and gamey and... eeww..."

I look at Zazu. "Oh, Zazu, don't be ridiculous. All you need is a little garnish."

Banzai look back at Shenzi. "I thought things were bad under Mufasa."

"What did you say?"

"I said Muf-"

Shenzi is smiling at me and hit Banzai with her paw to remind him.

"I said, uh... "Qué pasa?"

"Good. Now get out."

The hyenas start to walk out the cave but then pause.

"Mm... yeah, but - we're still hungry."

"Out!" I shout.

They run off. Ed lets loose a crazy laugh.

I lay back down shaking my head. Annoying dogs...

"Oh look! The young Prince is back home." Zazu said, in a little cheery tone.

"Hey birdie, hey father!" Nuka greets, while walking forward.

Nuka is now in his early teen age. He has a bigger patch of black hair on his head. A few black hair strings on his chin, which will soon later on grow into a beard. His long body is thin. No muscles to be found.

"Hello son. How was your training with Rafiki?" I greet back and ask.

Nuka sits down with a sad sigh. "Not good."

"What do you mean?"

"I continue to fail everything. No matter how many times you, mother, or Rafiki try to teach me. Maybe I'm not the right fit to be King. Sarafina and the others were right along..."

I sat up and wrap my furry arm around Nuka pulling him close. "How many times do I have to tell you, Nuka. You cannot let negative comments get to you. All it does is bring you down. You have to have belief and power son."

"But I am weak father. I have no type of strength what so ever." Nuka said frowning. "Look at me!"

"Then get stronger!"I snap. "Let me hear you roar son!"

Nuka look up, puff out his chest and let out a loud roar. It shook the cave and Zazu's cage.

I smile patting his head. "That's my boy! Now go, go and train some more. The Pride Lands will see what a great King you'll be."

Nuka return the smile and hug me. "Thanks for having extra hope in me, father."

"Anytime."

Nuka ran out the cave. Zira walks right in after.

"Where's he running to?"

"To train some more."

Zira shook her head then came up to me close, rubbing her nose against my cheek. "Don't push Nuka to hard, dear."

I purr and lick her forehead smiling. "I won't Zira. I just want our son to grow stronger and be just like me. An excellent King!"

"He will. Give it time, he's not even an adult yet. Nuka just became a teenager. He still has more years to learn."

"I don't know. He said Sarafina and the other pride members don't view him as a good King. They think he's weak and will mess up the future generation."

Zira frown. "Forget what they say Scar! This is about us, our family not them. They don't make the rules or decisions. We do! I know my Nuka will turn out to be an awesome King. He just needs more help..."

I hug her. "And he'll get it. Rafiki has patience. He knows what to do. He's the one that trained my father. My father was the same exact age as Nuka then, a teenager. Rafiki was a young adult."

"Hmm, I see."

"It's going to be fine, my love."

Zira look off to the side. "I hope..."

I hope so too...
If not, I'm going to need another heir...