Stitch by stich (Toris)

~Tao~

Shrill, obnoxious, loud. The tone rips through the calm air of the room, incessant and unforgiving. I groan, rolling over and press my face against something warm and soft as my half asleep brain refuses to give up the remaining hold on unconsciousness. I hear Kris chuckle in my ear and feel his stomach flex beneath my cheek.

His sleep heavy voice reverberates off the walls of the small room and sends a shiver down my spine. He continues to talk and i blearily tip my head back to glance up at him. He smiles down at me, fondly running his fingers through my messy morning hair as he has a conversation with the person on the other side of the phone currently pressed to his ear.

I hum and rub my face against his torso, loving the way he closes his eyes and takes a deep breath. I know how he feels. It feels like every touch now is new, yet also comfortingly familiar. I'm slowly becoming addicted to touching him.

"Yeah, okay. I understand. I'll be there soon." Kris says with a deep sigh and hangs up, giving me a regretful look.

"You're leaving?" I ask, trying to keep the disappointment out of my voice.

Kris releases a heavy breath and lets a hand run roughly down his face. "They need me downtown. Apparently some type of problem has come up with processing. I need to go check it out. Heechul is going to meet me down there."

I nod and slowly pull away from him. "Was that Heechul?"

"Yeah. It shouldn't take all day, just a few hours." Kris says, leaning forward to catch my hands as i sit up.

My lip habitually pulls up between my teeth and i just nod. "Okay."

"Hey," Kris says, scooting forward and placing two fingers on the side of my cheek, forcing me to look at him. "What's wrong? Talk to me, Baby. We need to talk about things that bother us, remember."

I blink at my boyfriend and feel my heart clench. He's right. Of course he's right. I sigh and let the full weight of this let down fall upon my shoulders. I guess i just got so used to being the backseat to Kris's work, that hiding my disappointment and abandoned feelings came second nature to me. Even going as far to hide them from myself. I always felt that trying to tell Kris that he's working too much or that i want to be a priority for once was selfish of me. His work is important and I shouldn't ask him to discard it because i want attention, but as he explained to me the other night, how is he supposed to know how I'm feeling if i don't tell him?

"Can Heechul not take care of it by himself? Today is our day off together and i wanted to spend it together being lazy in bed." I explain, my chest shallow with anxiety.

Kris's eye soften and he smiles at me. "You don't want me to go?"

I scoff and shake my head. "I never do."

Kris grins brightly, satisfied, and i almost hit him. The smug bastard. "I don't want to leave either. You're warm and gods, your touch is like life to me right now, but i have to, my love. It's really important and they need me there. How about i promise you that I'll be back by noon and then we'll spend the rest of the day tangled in each other. I'll even silence my phone."

I bite my lip. "That does sound amazing. And you promise you'll be home by noon?"

"Of course. As long as you promise hours of endless cuddles." He says with a dorky grin that melts my heart.

"Okay, deal, loser. Now go be the big boss, I'll wait for you." I say, pushing him off the bed playfully.

He whines and groans, fighting momentarily only to seize a kiss before laughing all the way to the bathroom to jump into a quick shower.