Chapter Thirty two ©

Written by: Sheri Murphy
All rights reserved
Chapter thirty two

Meanwhile back in the day

"Wow! So I'm assuming he's passed away?" Drake said.

"Did you talk about him to anyone around here?" Drake asked, kind of feeling skeptical.

He knew he didn't speak to her about this before ever. He hadn't even discussed who the person was that they went to see at the graveyard. He himself has always had strange things happen to him that were just unexplainable. So it's not that he doesn't believe in such things. It's just well, to be truthful. Jack is here and he likes to play jokes on people. That's the whole reason they bring it out. They don't really try to contact anyone.

"Yeah! He was my mom's brother. No! I've never mentioned his name to anyone. The last time I think I even spoke his name I was thirteen years old. I used to feel his presence all the time though. He was my favorite uncle. I used to go to the park with him. He used to take me to before his accident."

"Every year my mom and dad have a family reunion at a park. It was right down the street from our house. There were grills, picnic tables a pavilion. Swings across the way for the younger kids. A basketball hoop and baseball diamond for the older kids. Horseshoes and a field where the adults played croquet."

"My uncle Jim was supposed to come but he was running late so he called to say he would be late. But that he was still coming. He told my dad he would be there when he could get there."

"Everyone went on with their day. Not really putting too much stock into his absence. Now don't get me wrong. He was a very, very loved man. He was just known for his lateness or absences. He was a great guy, I loved him to death. He just wasn't a really dependable guy. He was only in his twenties. So he was living his life. And when I say living, I mean living. There wasn't anything this guy was scared to try. The sky was the limit with him."

"I guess that's one of the reasons why it was such a surprise when we got that phone call. We were used to him trying some crazy things. We'd all seen him come out of some crazy stuff. Maybe we just thought he was invincible. It sure seemed to be that way."

"Anyways," she said with a wave of her hand. "My dad grew up and was good friends with the guy across the street. So my uncle would call his house. Max would then come and tell my dad the message. Or his wife would or one of his kids. Being that Max was usually hanging out with us at the reunion. That's how close he was. Sorry! He still Is that close I mean."

Drake reached over her and on his desk were his cigarettes and lighter. He lit one and Offered Sasha one. But insisted she keep speaking. He laid back onto the pillow when he was through and Sasha laid on his shoulder.

"Well, us kids didn't know what happened at first. All we knew was that the atmosphere of the party had seemed to change. The adults were either crying or on the verge. My mother came over to me and told me to go to Max's house. Being that I was the closest to my uncle Jim. She didn't want me to hear it from someone else."

Sasha reached up and grabbed the ashtray that was on the desk. She handed it to Drake after flicking hers. He placed it on his stomach and urged her to keep going. Not giving the rest of the group any thought.

Gray and Trista were already in the woods. Jack and Jullion, Drake was pretty sure was arguing about the whole Trista thing that occurred with Jack. Drake knew this game was not a good idea. Needless to say they would be good for at least a little while before they had to get back.

"As I sat in Max's living room I observed the pictures on the wall. There was a frame dedicated to just Max and our family. It was nice to see them all together. Even though I'd witnessed it many times. These were younger pictures of them. After a few minutes went by, my dad came to talk to me."