Chapter six ©

Written by: Sheri Murphy
All rights reserved

At present time
He played around with the thoughts in his head for a little bit while he checked on his stuff. His food and his water were alright. However, he should still try making more. Who knows how long it could be after tonight. He's running out of woods. It might be harder on the streets to find food. Back in the day he might have been able to find food when a restaurant closed. If he was willing to risk his health eating after other people. That really wasn't on his agenda or list of things to do. Being that he didn't really plan on being out here that long. Plus, this day and age they have cameras and all sorts of things. Even if he cleared his name as he planned on doing. He really didn't need any other crazy scenarios going on.

He would smoke some more meat and carry that with him. He still had more then half of what he started with. Hopefully it would last for over a week. He had to admit even though it was lacking spices. It wasn't as bad as he had first expected. He had found a spot near a tree he noticed earlier that had birdseed. He made a very small mud pit and covered his hands with it. If he was going to catch something soon he would have to cover his own scent up. Mud would do the trick. He could wash the mud off later.

He spotted an old rusty paint can laying in the distance. He could set it up right into the sitting position. Then use whatever water it collected to rinse off with. He was soaking wet which was never good. Especially when it was freezing out with no shelter for warmth. Which is what he was in the process of building. When he realized he had better get more food.

He had set up the traps for the birds. He was now making his shelter. He had found a few old pieces of scrap-metal. Enough to make a large enough circle for him to lay down in. He made a roof out of another spare piece he had found under it. He must remember to make a ventilation source. He planned on making a small fire about the size of his hand within that circle. It would be enough to keep him warm. However, he didn't need no carbon monoxide scares or situations. He was going to once again use his ponchos for the smoking of the food. Which could prove to be a little harder then usual being that it was raining. He found an inclosure that did not seem to be getting much moisture. Due to the fact that there was heavy tree branches up above.

He'd managed to get a fire burning within the shelter. He dug a trench of sorts to hold the metal upright. As long as it was deep enough into the ground no wind should be able to blow it down. So far it was working great. He stood on the outside to make sure the smoke from the fire was going out of the makeshift chimney. From where he stood it looked to be working perfectly.

He placed the rocks he used all day to keep him warm around the fire. He would need those again later. First he inspected them to make sure they were still in good shape. If you over heat rocks they tend to shatter. They so far, seemed to be alright. He found another one and placed it with the rest. Before he knew it, he heard a noise. It shattered and on further inspection he learned that it was limestone. Which gave him an even better idea for when he was in the streets. He chucked those pieces away and replaced it with a new one. Once all that was in place he unpacked his frozen meat and did the best he could at rearranging it to be smoked. Frozen proved to be a lot more difficult to work with. However, he managed to do the job.

As he laid and tried to get some rest he reminisced about how his life used to be. He remembered that first day he and his wife walked into the house, they spent so much time fixing up.

From the outside it looked like your typical American home. It was built out of wood. The siding was a pebble rock. The brown contrast against the gray green rocks made it look warm and inviting. Or at least made one wonder what the inside would look like. His wife planted plants and flowers under the windowsills. When you entered the home you immediately ran into the living room. This proved to be a difficult thought for him at this moment. He allowed it to play anyways through the chambers of his mind like a movie scene.