Chapter Thirty six ©

Written by: Sheri Murphy
All rights reserved
Chapter thirty six ©

Meanwhile back in the day

The rest of the night was pretty much uneventful. They sat around and ate and talked about what the night rang in. After about an hour the rest of the gang decided to turn in.

     "You okay?" Drake asked when Sasha stretched out on the car seat. He got up, lit a cigarette and took his jacket off. He laid it across her folded arms. Then walked back to his tree stump.

"Thank you!" She said. "Why wouldn't I be?"

"I don't know, the whole uncle thing. And being that your still kind of new around here." Drake said, kicking his feet up onto the stump next to him.

"Oh! Is that what I am? New? Like a new toy for people to play with until they get sick of me?" She pulled his jacket tighter around herself. Drake couldn't help but wish that jacket was him.

He sat up once again and placed his elbows on his knees. He took a long drag off of his cigarette before tossing it into the fire. He didn't say anything he just glared at her. Not in a mean way just in a curious way. He'd never seen this side of her and he wondered where it was coming from. After a few seconds he decided to step out of his own comfort zone. He stood up and walked over to where she laid. He reached his hand out to her. She grabbed it and he softly pulled her off of the seat.

They both walked back to the house with her tucked under his arm. Once they reached the house he unlocked the door and placing his hand on her lower back as he escorted her inside.

She waited by the door while he turned off the tiny nightlight by the mirror. It was enough to see where you were going but not enough to disturb anyone's sleep.

Once Drake did that he walked over to where Sasha stood. He grabbed her elbow and she wrapped her other hand around his that rested on her wrist.

"Wow! It's dark in here." Sasha said.

"Yeah! I know. But I know this house like the back of my hand in the dark. Believe me we won't bump into anything lingering in the dark."

He lead her into his room and she sat on the edge of the bed while he lit a candle.

"You like the dark don't you?" Sasha asked smiling.

"Yeah! Can you tell?" He asked.

He grabbed the blanket that was at the end of the bed and wrapped it around her shoulders. She was trembling and he figured it was from the cold. There was a bit of a chill to the air.

"Don't worry, you'll be warm in no time in here. This is the hottest room in the house. That's why I sit in here." Drake said.

"I'll be right back." He said.

He ran out into the kitchen and made them both a cup of coffee. Grabbed the gram crackers out of the closet and went back into the room.

"You know I find myself at home not turning on lights. My mom was teasing me the other day and asked me if you were a vampire." She said.

"I would be if I could be. Except I hate blood. It tastes like shit." He said. "I don't know, I just feel more comfortable in the dark. I don't like to be looked at when I talk. It's just uncomfortable for me." He said, grabbing a cigarette off of the desk. "It's an issue I'm not willing to discuss right this moment."