Chapter Thirty seven ©

Written by: Sheri Murphy
All rights reserved
Chapter Thirty seven ©

At present time

When Drake woke up he was surprised. Midnight was standing up drinking water from the old coffee can. He was holding his one hoof up off of the ground. But at least he was on his feet.

Drake could also tell that he had nibbled a little bit in the hay. There was a path of loose hay sprawled out onto the floor.

His eyes were brighter then they were the night before. There was a shine to them. Not like the dole, pain laden look they carried the night before. He looked so much better since his washing the night before.

Drake stood up and stretched. He was sore, hungry and thirsty. He walked over to where midnight was. Petted him and then reached down to get the coffee can. Midnight rubbed his head against Drakes leg. Which brought a smile to Drakes face.

Drake decided it best to get the water first. Midnight and himself could both use a little fresh water. He walked out to the well. That's where he spotted a guy on a horse trotting in his direction. Drake paid no attention to him as he pumped his can full of water.

Drake knew the man was coming to the barn. However, he didn't seem to care or allow it to sway any of his actions. He carried the water back to the barn and poured a little bit into a bowl he saw by the stall door. He then took a huge chug of what was left in the can.

Midnight polished off what was in the bowl. He then walked over to nibble once more on the bail of hay. Drake searched his bag for a candy bar for himself. Sugar was probably not the best thing for him at the moment. However, it was better then nothing and would stabilize his own blood sugar.

He took the can outside one more time and refilled it. The man on the horse was closer but still not within speaking distance. He once again walked back to the barn. Drake walked over to midnight and bent down to inspect the makeshift bandage he made last night.

He unwrapped it as slowly as he could. So not to rip any hair that was stuck to the bandage. Midnight backed up once as if to tell Drake that was enough. However, Drake wasn't having any of that. He once again unraveled the last little bit. It looked pretty good, to be honest. It was pink where the chain had wore the hair off. However, it was no longer bleeding. Which was a good sign.

He decided to wash the wound once again anyways. He walked over to the bag and ripped off a clean piece of material from the shirt. He dunked it into the water and cleaned the wound once more the best he could.

Drake rewrapped the wound and walked back into the stall. He took a fresh piece of the shirt and dunked it into the water. He my as well do the best he could at cleaning himself up before that man on the horse got there.

Before he knew it he heard the barn door open. The man looked to be around five' nine maybe five' ten at the most. With a black cowboy hat that covered his eyes. His hair was long and jet black. He wore a blue jean jacket with leather chaps ontop of black jeans.  A red bandana hung from around his neck. Underneath the bandana he sported a black shirt. You could see the gold metal from his arrowhead necklace reflecting off of the light from the sun.

He took a few strides far enough into the barn that he could shut the door. Drake could hear the latch catch as he did so. The man turned around and took off his hat and extended his hand to shake Drakes.